8.3

„So, where are you driving us?" I ask, trying to chase away the uneasiness as I feel myself blushing again. Of course, it's stupid to feel like this, because we've already done everything I could be blushing about – but this is my first relationship. Suddenly, I feel like I don't know a thing. Which is stupid as well, because I've dated other guys and had sex with them and stuff like that. Just never anything remotely serious.

„Let's go swimming. The ocean's only an hour's drive away and I don't want to sit on a bench watching pigeons the whole day."

„Didn't I say nothing fancy?"

„It's the ocean. And it's not like I'm taking you by helicopter or anything like that. We'll buy some trunks and go swimming, that should count as a normal date."

„You've got a helicopter?" I ask incredulous, causing him to glance at me, a grin playing at his lips. Sighing, he shakes his head, then focuses back on the road. „What?"

„I don't have one. It was a figure of speech. Or do you want one?"

„Please don't buy a helicopter," I groan, dropping my face into the palm of my hand, my elbow resting on the edge of the door. He chuckles, probably seriously considering if he should get one. „By the way, don't you have to work? You've spent a lot of time with me lately."

„I've got enough people working for me to keep everything going for a while, so don't worry. As long as nothing urgent comes up, you can have another day or two of my undivided attention," he promises, his voice suddenly tender at the last words, igniting the sudden urge to possess him inside my chest. It's ridiculous, how I don't want him to talk like that to anyone else. Even thinking about it makes me jealous. Groaning, I squeeze my eyes shut, wondering where the hell these feelings popped out from. „You've been doing a lot of that since we left your place."

„What?"

„Groaning and sighing. What's wrong?"

„Nothing," I groan, leaning back against the seat, eyes unfocused. The sky blends in with the summer's leaves as we pass underneath a row of trees.

„You said you'd tell me what you're thinking," he huffs accusingly. Not that I want to go back on my words, but I hardly know what's going on myself. Can't really tell him I'm jealous because he might talk to someone. Someone who's definitely going to smell a lot better than me. I sigh again, heavily. „Tell me. Now."

„I don't know," I groan in frustration as I let my head drop to the side as if the change in position might cause my thoughts to tumble in order.

„You don't know or you don't want to tell me?" he presses flatly.

„Seriously, back off," I snap, glaring at him from the corner of my eyes. He narrows his at the road, gripping the wheel hard. Sighing once more, I rub the back off my nose, trying to chase away the tension inside me. „I really don't know. It's all a bit much, I guess. Us dating and everything."

„You belong to me. That's all. Not much to think about," he states firmly. Somehow, his words just feed the uneasiness clutching at my throat.

„And what about you?" I mumble. Suddenly, the car slows down as he stares at me, surprised. I turn my face towards him, ready to ask what happened, but then I realize what words left my mouth just now – and blush fervently, averting my eyes, mumbling incomprehensibly about how that wasn't supposed to sound like whatever. Fingers wrap around my neck, pulling me towards him and into a kiss. I stare at him, eyes wide, while his are fixed on the road. Slowly, he releases me, obviously pleased with himself.

„There's a merit to not knowing your thoughts after all," he grins smugly, leaning back against his seat as he speeds up the car again. I want to be angry with him, scowl at him, but somehow, all of that's blown away so far I can't get a hold of those feelings. Furrowing my brow, I look at my fingers. That wasn't the kind of answer I want to hear.