8.1 Circles

This part is dedicated to SharonJonah thank you for leaving so many votes :3 I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far.

-

The bell rings and I press the button for opening the door into the building. Can't bring myself to open the actual door, though. Dael knocks on it. Then again. After a few moments of silence, the door shakes as he kicks it hard.

„Open the door!" mom shouts from the living room. We agreed that she wouldn't greet him directly, but that leaves only me to let him inside. I just want us to be happy together, but I guess that means we have to get past this argument first. Sighing, I open the door and he steps inside quickly, hands in his pant's pockets, looking around curiously without bothering with me.

„You've got a cat," he observes casually, sniffing.

„Yes. Freckles. And it's nice to see you, too," I say flatly, causing him to finally look at me, his expression unreadable. If anything, he looks bored. Maybe he's disappointed by how simple my home is. „And my mom's here, as well."

„I can see that. Where's your room?" He's already turning away from me. Since it's a small place, it's not difficult to find my room, especially since he's sniffing around like a dog. I follow him quickly.

„At least greet her," I hiss, but he ignores me, busy looking around my room.

„What's that?" he asks nonchalantly, leaning down to get a closer look at my recent painting. I quickly step between him and my work, turning it around so he won't be able to look at it anymore.

„If your intention's to make me angry, you're on the right track," I inform him with forced calm, then go back to the door to close it behind us. Mom's loving him already, so no harm done. Out of the corners of my eyes, I see hands being placed on the door, then I feel his cheek brush the side of my head.

„Well, you weren't eager to invite me in, so I thought you might be hiding something. Besides, your mom's going to hate me anyways. These bruises on your neck have developed quite nicely," he whispers against my ear, causing me to shiver in anticipation, though I know that I still smell so bad he won't touch me. Not that I want him to touch me. Well, I do, but right now isn't the time to even think about that. He's acting like a total jerk.

„You could at least try to make her like you. I know you can be charming if you want to."

„You're her baby and I've hurt you. And I'll hurt you again, so there's no way she'll ever approve of me," he says softly, without a trace of regret. I grit my teeth. I know he's right, but the fact that he won't even try is pissing me off.

„So you're saying you won't bother because you'll fail anyway?" I snap, pressing my body against the door to gain some distance. If he wants to act like an asshole, I don't feel like cuddling up to him. Sighing, he takes a step back.

„It's not that. But what am I supposed to say?"

„Start with hello," I retort, turning around to face him. He looks concerned. My anger blows away like a leaf in the wind, slipping past my reach so fast I can't catch it. I avert my eyes, stepping around him to sit down on my bed.

„I think we're both better off ignoring each other," Dael sighs. Probably right again.

„And we're both better off not seeing each other. But here you are," I observe quietly, crossing my arms in front of my chest. Freckles crawls out from underneath the bed, eyeing Dael speculatively.

„What's that cat doing in here?"

„Don't change the topic. Freckles is here most of the time, so leave him alone."