10.1 What's Love?

Gnawing at the wooden end of the brush, I stare at the canvas filled with Dael's beautiful laugh. His white teeth and the way his skin wrinkles at the corners of his soft lips. I close my eyes with a sigh, relishing in the memory. 

My heart flutters happily and I catch myself smiling stupidly. Ah, the blissful happiness of love. 

Somehow, I don't even dread the fights that are bound to start again sooner or later, because it doesn't matter, at least not right now. I'm sure I'll be ready to kill him the second one starts, though. Still, even that thought causes nothing but a smile.

Freckles meows and I crouch down next to him, petting his soft fur. 

This morning, Dael dropped me off at home. To be more precise, we had sex, took a shower together, somehow ended up not having sex again - it was just some playful bantering instead -, then he took me out for a lavish breakfast and then dropped me off at home. He promised not to have the place ready by the end of the weekend, but I should expect to move next Tuesday, maybe Wednesday if something gets in the way. 

Since I'm working Monday evening, there's no way for me to move in with him on that day, which is the only reason we're not doing it on Monday. Probably. I chuckle and walk over to my computer to put on some music. Usually, I'm not listening to anything – besides Freckles – when I'm painting, but I feel like it right now.

Two hours later, mom tells me that she's going shopping. On her crutches, on her own. It takes about ten minutes to convince her that I'll go, especially because she's eager on shoving in my face that she'll have to take care of herself soon because I'm running head over heels towards disaster. That refers to the fact that I'm moving in with Dael next week, which she doesn't approve of. 

She's accepted it, but the only reason for that is that she's my mom and she doesn't really have a choice. Telling someone not to do something with too much force only pushes them further in that direction, so instead of an endless account of why I should wait a bit more, she told me that there'll always be a place for me at home. I ended up feeling pretty bad afterwards, wishing that she'd kept on arguing instead of acting all understanding.

Sighing, I pull my phone out of my pocket, searching for Dael's number. I wonder if he'd be happy if I called him. It's not like I've got anything better to do while walking to the supermarket. That sounds wrong. 

Well, it's not like I've got anything to tell him, either. I could whine about my mom not wanting us to live together. Somehow, I'd really like to talk to him about that, just so he can reassure me that it's going to be alright. I smirk at the thought, rolling my eyes at the stupidity of it. As if Dael would ever do that. I'm pretty sure he'd be pissed off because he'd feel like I didn't want to move in with him after all. 

Things would definitely be easier if I allowed him to read my thoughts, though that's off-limits. He has to learn to understand me on his own. Besides, it's not like he'd be able to drink even a single drop of my blood right now without throwing up instantly.

Somehow, that's satisfying. Serves him right. Maybe it'll teach him to appreciate me a bit more. Though I doubt that. Distance makes the heart grow fonder doesn't work on Dael. If you take something away from him, he gets fucking angry and retaliates. If that doesn't help, he just stops caring. 

I've experienced that myself. 

Well, he didn't stop caring, but I doubt we would've had any kind of contact ever again if I hadn't dropped by – and the stupids hadn't helped out. It's horrible, but I've ended up indebted to them. Not as if I'd ever tell them that, though.

So, do I call him? Do I not call him? 

Groaning, I roll my eyes at myself. I really want to talk to him. Sure, I've got nothing better to do and I don't have anything to talk to him about, but that doesn't change anything about my feelings. It's annoying. I'm actually missing him like hell even though we've seen each other this morning. Hasn't even been ten hours since then.