12.1 Home

The place is amazing. I admit, the elevator ride itself takes a good two minutes, but those pass quickly when you can just look down at the bustling city through the glass walls. Our flat lies at the top floor, the 23rd, and somehow, Dael has turned it into a loft within less than a week.

Several pillars covered in greenery support the ceiling, the last remnants of the walls that had been blocking the view only a while ago. Most of the loft's west side consists of tall windows, and that's where Dael has arranged my painting materials. Interestingly, that's also where he decided to put our bed.

I pull my shoes off in awe, not daring to stain our new home so carelessly with the dirt from the streets. The parquet floor is made from light coloured maple, making the place look bright and friendly. Only the shower area is tiled, and the tiles are a pale lavender that complements the respective flowers that grow on the low walls surrounding it.

"You said you liked the loft," Dael murmurs softly and wraps his arms around me from behind. My fingers find his in front of my stomach while he rests his chin on my shoulder, then turns his head to nuzzle my neck. I lean against him, enjoying the tenderness of his touch.

"It's perfect."

I can feel his lips curl back into a smile as they move against my skin. His grip on me tightens.

"So that means you'll stay?"

My eyes widen in surprise and I crane my neck to get a look at him, but he's hidden his face well from my sight. Did he seriously think I might run away?

"Dael, I love you."

"I know, but will you stay?"

I can't help but laugh because his neediness is heartwarming. I wish my love would be enough of a reassurance, especially since I don't want to make any promises that depend a lot on him not going all crazy-vampire on me again. Sighing, I lift a hand to his head to massage his scalp.

"I'll stay if you tell me you love me," I tease, then scream in a mixture of pain and surprise as his fangs pierce my skin and sink into my muscles. I instinctively jerk away, but he keeps me close easily, tightening his embrace. Grunting, I relax into his arms.

Guess I deserve that.

He pulls back unexpectedly quickly, though, then places a feathery kiss on the spot he just harassed.

"I love you," he whispers, causing me to flinch for a whole other reason. I'm sure my ears are red, given how hot my face feels all of a sudden and how nauseatingly jumbled my insides have become. I don't think I'm ever going to get enough of him saying that, at least according to that stupidly blissful smile that takes over my lips.

"I love you, too."

Saying that suddenly makes everything ten times better. It's out. We're both in love with each other, and knowing for sure is the most wonderful thing.

I turn around in his arms to slip my hands around his neck, loosely entwining my fingers behind him. We're so close that our noses touch and I rub mine against his, Eskimo style.

"You look happy," he comments with a smirk, staring straight into my eyes. Strangely enough, it's not uncomfortable even though we're this close. Guess now that I can say with certainty that he cares, I'm not afraid of him seeing how much I care, either. I hum in agreement and lean in for a quick peck.

Not quite so quick, given the feral growl that the touch of our lips elicits from Dael's throat. His hands slide onto my ass, pulling me close roughly as he thrusts against me, and he leaves no room for me to pull back again, forcing the peck to become a deep kiss.