12.3

There's a red sports car parked in front of the bar when I leave. Instantly, the worried frown on my face eases away as a delighted grin takes over. While I try to reign it in, I don't succeed - not even a little bit. It's kind of embarrassing since he's watching me walk over and take my place inside the car.

"Someone's looking happy," he observes warily and I lean over to kiss him.

"Well, someone's come to pick me up," I reply cheekily. A smug grin tugs at one corner of his lips before he shakes his head at me and concentrates on the street. The moment he speeds off, I'm pushed back into the seat and fasten the belt in a hurry. "Don't think I'm ever going to get used to this."

"You just need to learn to trust me," he grins, completely relaxed as he forces me close to death at every corner of the street. While I do think I trust him in general, at least for now, I'm not that sure about his vampiric senses. They are keen, that's for sure, but my life's on the line. That reminds me.

"You know your son dropped by again?" I ask carefully, trying to sound casual. It doesn't matter. His fingers clutch at the wheel and he narrows his eyes at the street, causing me to glance aside quickly. "He didn't do anything. I think he's just a bit jealous."

"I'm not sure if you're aware but a jealous vampire isn't funny at all," Dael says flatly. "What did he want?"

"Nothing, really," I reply with a shrug, though I doubt that's going to be enough for him. "Just insulted me and kind of made it obvious that I don't have a place in your life, at least according to him."

"Good thing it's not his decision, then," Dael remarks grudgingly, probably more to himself. Sighing, I watch the houses fly past us, then decide to concentrate on my feet instead because doing otherwise makes me aware of the speed at which he's driving. The silence stretches uncomfortably, leaving me to brood on the conversation I had with Tristan.

"Dael?" I ask carefully after a while, glancing at him from the side. He doesn't respond in any way, so I'll just have to go for it. "You didn't tell him why you didn't want to turn him into a vampire?"

"What's up with that question?"

"Did you or did you not?"

"No. Why are you asking? It's none of your business and it's none of his," he states matter-of-factly. While I'm aware now that this is just him trying to avoid something he regards as troublesome, it's still making me feel bad about myself. I lean back against the seat, slowly turning my face towards him to watch his expression intently.

"I think he feels rejected, especially now that I'm around. Maybe it'd be better if he knew."

"Sorry, Ally, but you don't know him. Hearing his father's sad story isn't going to change anything. He thinks he knows what he's talking about, no matter what you say to him," Dael explains casually, though his brow is furrowed. He sighs heavily afterwards, easing some of the tension out of his features. He's right, though. I don't know anything about his family – and they don't know anything about me.

"Maybe I should talk to him some more, then," I muse loudly. Dael's head snaps around, causing me to flinch instantly.

"Don't even think about it. He's barely older than you and hasn't been a vampire for long," he says flatly before focusing on the road again. I'm glad he does. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to process that type of information because I would be busy worrying about my life instead. Well, the way he makes it sound, I'm supposed to worry about my life anyway. "He's dangerous, Ally. I'll talk to him and make sure he understands that you're off-limits."

Now that makes me wonder what isn't off-limits. Or who. But I don't ask about it, not because I'm afraid of the answer but because he doesn't like talking about it, obviously. Besides, it should be enough to know that he's worried about me and going to take care of things. After all, it's his family, not mine. Then again, I would've preferred to get along with them, but I guess I can't have everything. Maybe it'll turn out fine if I give it some time.