4.4

"Wake up", Sebastiano whispers, shaking my shoulder softly. I blink, feeling out of place – and tired. He looks seriously worried, as if I were about to die. Technically, I am. Doesn't matter. I sit up, groaning and rubbing my eyes. "University starts in an hour."

"He wants me to go back there?" I ask casually, already getting out of bed. Sebastiano averts his eyes quickly as he notices I'm undressed. Completely.

"He didn't mention anything to me", he replies quietly and I shrug. Fine. I take a shower, noticing Sebastiano watching me intently. Afterwards, I brush my teeth, then get dressed. Sebastiano disappears, probably fetching breakfast. A couple minutes later, he places three croissants in front of me. I pick one up, nibbling at it as I leave the loft with my backpack. Sebastiano hurries after me.

"You're not hungry?" he asks and I raise the croissant in my hand pointedly, not bothering with him any more than that. In the foyer, I meet Dael.

"Are you alright?" he inquires cautiously. I doubt he cares. Well, I'll humour him, if that's what he wants. He narrows his eyes at me.

"Sure", I chirp happily, smiling at him. "But I'm on my way right now, so if you want to take a bite, you have to hurry. I'm supposed to excel at my studies, so I have to try hard."

"No. You can go", he replies flatly. Nodding, I step past him, followed by a confused Sebastiano. At least he doesn't bother asking me about whatever is on his mind, because I don't feel like answering. I wait at the entrance as he hurries away, returning with a small, white car a few minutes later. Well, the cabriolet is flashier and probably more comfortable as well, but complaining won't change a thing.

He drives me to the university, promising to pick me up afterwards. Well, I won't mind if he's late as long as I'm not expected to walk. I concentrate on the lectures, taking notes obediently while I ignore the other students as best as I can. Of course, a few think they're destined to shove their opinion down my throat, so I let them say whatever is on their mind, then wait for them to explode at me for not caring about it.

Back at the loft, I eat half of what Sebastiano presents me with – and the rest because he refuses to leave me alone before I've finished my meal even though I start feeling nauseous quickly. When he's gone, I hurry to the sink, retching while I cling to its edge. Afterwards, I turn on the TV, watching some kind of stupid game show. Whem Dael enters, I look up at him, knowing it's him because Sebastiano can be heard approaching from two miles away.

"How was your day?"

"
I took a lot of notes", I relay to him, not bothering with the harassment his display from the previous day has caused. I'm sure he's aware of the effects of his behaviour since that's why he did it in the first place. I tilt my head back, resting it on the couch as I watch him step closer. He places his hands on the dark leather on both sides of my head, leaning down until we're only inches apart, looking me deep into the eyes.

"Did anything else happen?"

"No", I reply with a shrug, unflinching. Looking into his face doesn't bother me anymore, because I've got nothing left to hide. I've moved on. This is how it's going to be until the day I die - which will be sooner than later, I guess.

"Certain?"

I nod, sighing. I don't get why he bothers asking since he knows what I'm thinking anyway. Not like I could hide anything from him, no matter how much I might want to. I glance at the TV as a group of people starts screaming. So, the fat people won. He leaves me alone and I get up to lie down on my bed, suddenly tired. I fall asleep quickly.

-

It's hot. I try to roll onto my back, but Dael's sleeping next to me, holding me close with his iron grip. I tense for a second, my body remembering the pain as his breath hits the skin of my neck. Nothing happens. He mumbles something incomprehensible, nuzzling his nose into my hair.