7.1 Out of my Mind

Something's wrong. Groaning, I open my eyes to slits. Lifting my lids takes unbelievably hard effort. My eyes roam the room. So, still inside Dael's bedroom. He's sitting at the edge of the bed, watching me carefully, looking guilty. I want to ask what happened, but it seems like too much of an effort. Even breathing is taxing. My lips part, panting, because it's easier to get some air that way.

„Never let me sleep with my fangs still inside you," he instructs flatly. So that's what happened. Explains why I feel so weak. Guess I could've died. I'm pretty sure I'd be freezing if it weren't for the four thick blankets on top of me. Sighing, I close my eyes. Seeing is taxing as well as if my brain can't take that much information at once. He must have taken a lot of my blood.

„We had to give you three blood transfusions. Now you smell like shit," he complains grudgingly, causing me to chuckle lightly. Shit. I'm not in pain, but every small move causes my muscles to complain at the effort as if they were already using up their last resources. Probably are. „You were out cold for three days."

I guess it's stupid, but the first thing that comes to my mind is that I'm supposed to work today. And since Ty is still sick, there's no one who can fill in, because Budd's still looking for a third man. And the weekend guys refuse to work Monday to Thursday.

„I called your employer and arranged for someone to do your work until you're better. So don't push yourself. You need at least another week," he informs me, probably so I don't plan on leaving as soon as I can move my legs out of the bed. Seriously, maybe he did this on purpose. At least now he gets what he wants. Shit. I'm so tired.

„Go back to sleep then. But just so you know, this is not what I want. I want to screw you and drink your blood. Guess I could still do that, kind of, but as I mentioned, you smell like shit, so don't expect me to touch you until you've replenished your blood," he explains, though his voice is unusually soft considering his words. What an idiot. If he's worried about me, he could just tell me. The sound of his voice carries me off to sleep.

Swallowing hard because my throat's dry, I wake up to the smell of soup. Dael's sitting behind me, holding me close against his chest, his chin resting on my shoulder. Considering I'm supposed to smell bad, he's pretty close.

„Bad isn't even a word for it," he grunts disapprovingly, then removes a hand from my stomach. I open my eyes slightly to see what he's doing. He lifts a spoon to my lips, filled with warm soup and some small noodles. Obediently, I open my mouth, letting him feed me. I don't bother chewing since swallowing already takes so much effort that I have to pause after the fifth spoonful. „Stop pressing you're lips together and eat. I won't hook you up to the infusion again. Get your nutrients on your own."

Sighing, I relax my lips, though I still don't open up even though he pokes the spoon against them. Don't want to eat. I'm too tired to feel hungry – and too tired to eat even if I were. I close my eyes again, resting my head against him. He's warm and comfortable and he smells so nice.

„You don't. And you'll keep stinking if you don't start eating on your own. So eat," he says matter-of-factly. That's not a good argument. And not a nice way of getting someone to do something. 

My lips remain closed. I want to sleep. I'll eat more later. Grunting, he lifts his other hand from my stomach. Two fingers pry my lips apart, then slip between my slightly parted teeth to pry my mouth open. He can't be serious. The spoon follows, pouring soup into my mouth, then he removes his fingers. Groaning, I swallow. Asshole.

„Don't sulk. I'll let you sleep after you finish the soup. So open up," he coaxes softly. I'm too weak to fight him, especially if he's being nice. It takes an awful amount of time to finish the soup, though. I wonder how much was on that plate. Dael puts the spoon aside, then slips his hands under the blankets and onto my stomach, caressing my skin with the tips of his fingers. It's easy to fall asleep like this.