12.4

I lock myself in the toilet, hoping that Dael is not going to hear me through the walls. It's very unlikely, but while I don't believe him capable of everything, he's proven himself quite persistent when it comes to sticking his nose into my business. As idiotic as it sounds, and probably is, the thought puts a smile on my lips as I relish in his love for me.

I call Tristan back, wondering what's going on. Maybe he just wants to throw some insults my way again, yet I want to take the chance to talk to him. Dael has warned me about keeping contact with his son, but it's a fucking phone. He's not going to suck the life out of me while he's god-knows-where else.

The phone rings exactly twice before he rejects the call. Startled, I frown at the screen, then decide to send him a message. I'm a little bit confused.

'What's going on?'

'Nothing. Don't call me.'

'You called me.'

'Well I don't want to talk to you anymore, so fuck off.'

'Didn't know only one man in your family has balls.'

To my surprise, the insult has an immediate effect. I pick up the call, shaking my head at how easy it is to tease him. He's nothing like his father, that's for sure. Dael would probably only pity me if I threw something like that his way.

"I have balls," he snaps straight away, and I snort as I try to suppress a laugh. "What?"

"No, nothing. I wouldn't know," I grin, unable to keep the amusement from my voice. He hisses into the phone, and I can vividly imagine his lips curling back into a snarl.

"Do you think you're funny or what?"

"Occasionally, but-"

"You're not funny. You're just a fucking little slut who thinks it's fine to just come in and lay your hands on my father. It's not, and I promise you he's going to see that you're nothing but a worthless little human slut and then he's going to come back home again."

I take a deep breath, swallowing down my own anger that boils up at his words. A week ago, hearing something like that would've been devastating. After all, his view provides exactly the reasoning I would have needed to make sense of Dael's secrecy. He's effectively arguing that I'm nothing more than a boy toy, and if not for Dael's last-minute confession, I would believe him. Now, I decide to stick with Dael, the vampire that I promised I would trust.

"Are you done?" I ask coldly. After pushing aside my insecurity, anger and jealousy, there's not much left. "Tristan, if you're really so sure that he's going to crawl back into your mother's arms, why are you telling me all this?"

I had expected him to retort something immediately, but he's completely quiet instead. After what seems like a minute, he curses quietly. When he speaks up again, his voice is unusually tender, almost weak.

"You don't know shit. You're just a human, and that's not good enough. Dad needs to be with another vampire."

"And why is that?" I shoot back acidly, unfazed by his changed behaviour. I'm pissed off, and I'm not going to have him lecture me on what Dael does or does not need. As far as I know, he might be quite incapable of communicating that himself, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

"I don't- he's difficult, okay? You're hanging out with him, you should know that."

I'm not just hanging out with him, but I guess commenting on that is beside the point. 

"Yes, I know that. I can also deal with it if you're concerned about that."

"I'm not-"

"And", I cut in firmly, "I also know why he's being difficult."