"scotty" the sequel

john took a minute to breathe before getting up from the bed and reaching for his clothes.

"where are you going?" sherlock asked and propped himself up on his elbows, watching john.

"no strings attached, remember?" he asked as he pulled on his shirt.

"right." sherlock said softly then laid down again.

john watched him. "look, i know you want to be something, but it's just not going to work." he sat on the bed again.

sherlock looked at him. "why can't we just try?"

john sighed and looked into his lap, "it's three years in afghanistan. god knows it won't work and we'll end up ending it over skype or some shit and i just don't want that to happen." he said and looked at sherlock again.

"what about when you get back?" sherlock asked and sat up. "can we try then?"

john chuckled. "will you still be into me after three years?"

"i'll be into you, but i'll also be in you," he grinned.

john scoffed and pushed him back down then got up. "i'll see you tonight then? seven?" he asked as he grabbed his shoes.

"i'm picking you up and dress nice," he said as he got up. "jeans and graphic tees are not allowed." he said as he walked to the bathroom.

"are we going some where nice?" john asked and grinned at him.

"you'll find out at seven." he said and started the shower.

"bye." john said awkwardly then left.

sherlock picked john up at seven sharp, standing outside his apartment complex next to a shining black jaguar dressed in black slacks a dark purple button down shirt with a blazer over it. he smiled at john when he came out, watching him laugh softly. john looked good, his clothes fit him well and he had that bright smile on that sherlock loved seeing.

"where's you're truck? and did you cut your hair?" he asked as he walked up to sherlock, looking at his normal length hair.

sherlock chuckled and pulled john's hands out of his hair. "i cut it a bit and it's my brother's car." he said and looked at john.

john smiled. "is this his suit too? 'cause i've seen your closet."

sherlock smiled and opened the passenger side door for john, letting him get in then closing the door. he got in the drivers side then pulled out.

"so, where are we going?" john asked as he looked around the car.

"it's a surprise." sherlock grinned. "just relax and no more questions." he said and glanced at john before keeping his focus on the road.

john relaxed in his seat and watched out the window. their date wednesday wad dinner and a movie and then sherlock's place for sex. this night was going different. john knew the route and they were on their way into the city and to a nice restaurant. it was john's last night and sherlock wanted to do something special, but john didn't really want to go to some high class restaurant where a meal cost as much as his rent. he just wanted to spend it with sherlock and do something laid back. john unbuttoned his blazer, taking it off and keeping it in his lap.

"can we do strings attached, just for tonight?" sherlock asked after minutes of silence. "just for tonight then we can go back to no strings." he said and glanced at john quickly with a pleading look.

john held sherlock's hand, kissing the back of his hand. "tomorrow we go back to no strings." he said and smiled at sherlock.

sherlock smiled softly and intertwined their fingers, putting his focus back on the road again.