Going Back (7)

I feel my cheeks go red as my ringtone is my favourite MCR song and it feels a bit weird listening to the familiar tune with the people who made it. I stand up a little shaky and realise I haven't even checked my phone since I nearly got kidnapped. I grab my phone from the counter and go outside for some privacy.

"Hello, miss L/N ? We need to have a word with you" a stern voice orders down the line. I can hear the tone of her voice and it makes me nervous almost as if I had done something wrong.

I confirm that I am the right person and take a deep breath as the woman goes into more details. She sounds like she is bored, like she says this to many people and is simply reading a script or playing a recording. 

"Hello miss, I am police officer Sandra and I'm afraid your parents have been killed in a terrorist incident. We need you to return to the police station near your house and fill in some paperwork. We will transport you to the morgue and I'm afraid we need you to confirm that these bodies are in fact the bodies of your parents. We also wish that you take any of your belongings from your house or anything you wish to keep as you will no longer be living there. You can't stay in the house as you are not of legal age and the property belongs to the government. I am not going to be placing you in a care home as you are of legal age and there is huge demand for spaces in facilities like these."

She hangs up the phone after saying she expects me to be there at 2pm this afternoon. I am left speechless standing outside in the cold. I can't see my parents, their bodies. I can't see them lifeless, knowing that if I didn't go to that concert I may have been able to save them. I can't say goodbye to the house I have lived in my whole life. 

I feel myself crumbling and for the first time the emotion of all the recent events hits me like a truck. I am devastated. My legs feel weak beneath me and my vision blurs and I suddenly can't stand up and hold my own weight. I fall down and sit on the ground next to the bus and pull my knees to my chest. I cry floods of tears and when I close my eyes I wish they would never open again.

I hear someone sit beside me and he places his hand on my arm slowly rubbing circles. I open my eyes and lean against the man next to me. 

Gerard looks at me and smiles.

"Even though you are broken you look beautiful you know that, I heard everything the phone all said because you had your phone on speaker. I won't let you go alone and I will be by your side every step of the way. You will get through this."

"But you could miss the concert tonight and there are so many people waiting to see you" I whispered through tears, knowing how annoyed I would be if I went to a MCR concert and Gerard wasn't there..

"Nothing matters as much as this right now, and anyway after what has happened recently I don't think I am ready to perform live anyway" Gerard whispers back to me. I can feel his breath on my neck and it makes me feel more calm.

"So should we get this over and done with or what?"