Chapter 11

"What does Satsuki want to do when we get out of here?" Saiko asked cutely. "Travel? Daisy was telling Saiko about how she used to move from place to place.."

"I don't know what I want to do," Kaira replied quietly. "I don't want to get my hopes up."

"Oh, Kaira," Saiko sat next to the redhead. "Are you still worried about... well, Kaira's other part?"

"Of course," Kaira sighed. "Daisy said I should stop worrying. But I don't want to end up killing everything. I want to be free, but I'm worried that me being free will end everyone.. and everything."

"Hey," Saiko grabbed Kaira's hand gently. "Kaira, on the bright side... even when Kaira's herself, Satsuki wouldn't hurt Saiko. So... hypothetically... Saiko and Kaira could just explore the world even if everything's gone!"

"But... I don't want to explore the world without the rest of the group," Kaira sighed. "Saiko... as much as I'd like to go just with you, everyone else deserves their freedom just as much as we do."

"Not everyone," Saiko huffed. "Does Rosalina really deserve her freedom? She put us in here-"

"I know," Kaira closed her eyes. "...but she took care of me. And you. I wouldn't leave her behind."

"Hmmph... fine. But what can Saiko do to make Kaira feel better?"

"I don't know."

"Hm... maybe Kaira and Saiko could go out to eat or something?"

"I'm not hungry," Kaira shook her head. "I'll just stay here. I might take a nap-"

The redhead was interrupted as the psychopath tackled her to the bed. She stared up in surprise at the bluenette.

"Saiko-"

"Can't you see Saiko just wants to spend time with Kaira?" Saiko's hands were placed on her shoulders, pinning her down. "How dense can Kaira be?"

Kaira slowly lifted her hands to Saiko's cheeks, cupping her face.

"I'm sorry," Kaira told her. "I'm just.. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," Saiko murmured. "Just stay with Saiko."

"Saiko..."

"Remember when we were young?" Saiko reminisced. "Saiko was so... bland back then."

"You weren't bland," Kaira told her, her thumb rubbing her cheek. "You were just ruthless."

"No, Saiko had no emotions, is what it felt like," Saiko shrugged. "Saiko didn't care about anything until you continuously tried to talk to me."

"Yeah. You wanted me to leave you alone," Kaira muttered. "You told me to shut up."

"Kaira! Saiko's trying to be.. whatever they call it. You know."

"Sorry."

"Anyway," Saiko continued. "Saiko thought you were annoying at the time... but Saiko liked it. Having someone to talk to. Saiko never liked Mario or Rosalina, so... you kept Saiko sane."

"As much as I could, yes."

"Right. Saiko can't be kept sane," Saiko giggled. "Kaira even helped them name Saiko."

"Well, it was an accident," Kaira admitted. "Rosalina had read me a book where there was a cold hearted, emotionless woman who gradually became... normal. Rosalina called her a psycho, and that's how you got your name, heh. Except I spelt it wrong..."

"Hehe. It worked out pretty well though, didn't it?"

"I guess so."

"There you go again," Saiko laughed. "Honestly, Saiko thinks Kaira might be the most unromantic person of all time."

"It's just-" Kaira tried to defend herself. "It's just hard for me to express myself... I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry," Saiko smiled sweetly. "Saiko loves you how you are."

"I don't know how you do," Kaira whispered. "I don't deserve it."

"Neither does Saiko... so I guess we're both in it together."

"Together..?"

"Together!"

<><><>

Rest in peace. Dixie Kong, Warden of Birdo, cellmate of Toadette.

Toadette stood at the makeshift grave they'd made for Dixie. It didn't hold her body, obviously, it was just a little tomb stone at the end of the hallway.

She held flowers sent from winning her battle onto Dixie's grave, and as she moved towards it, her tears escaped her eyes and stained the grave.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you Dixie," Toadette whispered. "I'm so sorry... I wish you came out to dinner... you'd still be here."

Escaping with us.

"Um," Toadette gulped, wiping her tears. "I'll always think of you."

If I ever make it out, I'll tell Diddy.

"...I'm assuming you were friends with her.. I know how you feel. Losing your best friend can be hard."

Toadette looked behind her to see a woman with white hair and violet eyes. It was an unsettling sight, but it was still beautiful.

"You don't know anything."

"You're right, considering I ran from my past too," The woman replied. "You can make it get better... and move past it, or be stuck like me."

Toadette watched as the woman turned and walked away, and Toadette wondered just who she was and why she felt the need to help her.

I need to get my life back on track...

Toadette stood, looking at the grave and placing the flowers onto it. She turned around and walked away.

Thank you, Dixie.

...so there's a reason I don't write in the romance genre...

Question of the chapter: Are you guys enjoying this book?

I started writing Sanity for real, so that book will get updated more frequently. That's fun.

Thanks for reading!