Chapter 17

Daisy was determined to get out. Now that there was one down, it was only a matter of time...

Until they found a way out.

But until that happened, it was time to party about them destroying one.

They'd all gone out to dinner. Kaira, Saiko, Toadette, Daisy, Rosalina, and Luigi. A couple of others tried to accompany the group, but Daisy wanted it to be just them. After all, they were the ones who had done it.

One step closer to getting out.

Daisy didn't know why she once wanted to stay here forever. That was before the painful moments of Dixie's death, before she saw Peach. Now, she realized how terrible this place was, and how much she wanted to get back to her dear friend.

"Hey, Rosalina," Daisy greeted. "I've got a question."

"What would you like to ask..?"

"Why do you always talk like that..? If it's not too personal."

"...Mario," Rosalina's fists clenched. "He... when he experimented on me... it impaired my speech."

"Oh. I'm sorry... that sucks."

"Yes... it does. But it's not... your fault..it's his. And he's going to get what's coming to him."

"Well, that's good," Daisy smiled. "I'm glad that you feel that way, to be honest. If you still wanted to reason with him, this could get a lot more... difficult."

"I don't blame you for thinking that..." Rosalina told her. "We're going to get out... and I will kill him. I will..."

"Alright, sounds good to me. Hey, Rosie... what are you going to do when you get out of here?"

"Er... I don't know," Rosalina confessed. "I don't have anything left... my family is gone... the only thing I have is my children here..."

"Oh."

Daisy found it odd that Rosalina would want to escape with them. If the only thing she had was what was here.. why would she want to leave?

"I don't know what I'll do out there..." Rosalina admitted. "I just want to kill Mario... and after.."

"Oh... well then.."

Daisy understood revenge. After Dixie's death, she'd just wanted to hunt that girl-Lavinia- down. The smirk on the purple haired girl...
Just remembering it made her fists clench in fury. Dixie didn't deserve to die.

No one did.

"Don't worry about it..." Rosalina looked away. "I don't care what happens after... I probably deserve death anyway.."

"No one deserves death..."

"Many people deserve death..." Rosalina sighed. "What I've done... is unforgivable."

"Everything's forgivable."

"You're so innocent... I envy you."

"What? Envy me?" Daisy was surprised. "But I have nothing.."

"You have innocence... the innocence I used to have.. I miss that."

"Oh."

Rosalina and Kaira may not act the same, be the same, or even look the same, but they had at least one thing in common.

They missed the innocence they used to have.

<><><>

Party time was over.

Now, it was time to get back to work.

Well, kinda.

Everyone had been paired up, and instead of the usual Luigi and Daisy, Rosalina with Toadette, and Kaira with Saiko, it was Daisy and Kaira, Saiko and Toadette, and Rosalina and Luigi. Having Saiko with Rosalina would've been a mistake since... the bluenette had such a strong hate for the female.

No matter what anyone said, her belief was still that Rosalina was an evil mastermind. Saiko didn't forgive Rosalina for what happened when she was young, and she certainly didn't plan on doing so anytime soon.

Daisy and Kaira were checking all the cells, and Daisy was glad she had the wardens on her side. Otherwise, it'd be incredibly difficult to get into other people's cell...

"What do you think you'll do out there?" Daisy asked.

"I...I'm not sure," Kaira replied. "I don't think I'll ever know."

"Oh, come on! I'm sure you will. It'll take some time. Just look out- and see."

"Right..." Kaira took a deep breath. "I doubt I'd see anything, to be honest. There's nothing out there for me."

"Really?"

Daisy was confused as to why so many people in the group didn't have anything out there, but still wanted to leave.

"Yeah. I don't have anything out there. This prison... these walls... Saiko, Rosalina, Mario. These are the only things I know," Kaira looked away. "I don't know what's out there. I don't know if I want to know what's out there. The only reason I'm doing this... is for Saiko. Saiko wants to go out and see it all..."

"Oh... I understand."

"Do you?" Kaira questioned. "You don't know what it's like to live here your whole life. To have eleven year olds as parents. To be trained your whole life... you don't know."

"No... I don't," Daisy replied. "But I'll do my best to sympathize with you. I know it sucks...but-"

"It never sucked," Kaira interrupted. "Not... not because of him. Never mind."

Kaira turned away, and Daisy wondered silently.

What happened to Kaira before all this?

Hey everyone! Hope Instability is going well so far. I almost slipped and wrote Dixie when I was listing all the characters.. :(

I HAVE NO SELF RESTRAINT ANYMORE I WANT TO FINISH THIS BOOK CAUSE THE ENDING IS GREAT AND I STOPPED MYSELF FROM JUST POSTING THE ENDING LOL

Question of the chapter: can you play music from the chapter while you read?

Go check out Sanity for Kaira's and Saiko's backstory :)

Thanks for reading!