Chapter 48

"I think we should go back, it was a mistake to leave Saiko behind. What if Pauline and Mario find her?"

Rosalina glanced over at the worrying Daisy, and shook her head.

"Saiko can handle herself... and she won't leave without...well, Satsuki," Rosalina then looked away, and it was in that moment that Daisy realized that Rosalina was also hurting from the loss of Satsuki. It had to be done, however. It was going to save the lives of many, and while Daisy felt a deep pain from losing the girl, it was for the greater good. Saiko, on the other hand, Daisy was worried about. Saiko was incredibly strong, yet the only reason she'd won the fight was by distracting the redhead and in her distraught moments, she was more than likely going to be overwhelmed.

"But-"

"Daisy," Toadette interrupted her, growing annoyed with her constant arguing. "They won't go after Saiko because she's mourning over Satsuki. Isn't that a clear sign that she's no longer on our side? If she is not here fighting against the prison, then she is not their concern, therefore she is not our concern either. I do not wish to leave Saiko behind, either. But we will not be able to tear her away from Kaira-uh, Satsuki."

"I know you're right," Daisy sighed. "But I don't want to leave her behind..."

"It's what she would want. Trust me."

"PUT YOUR HANDS UP, NOW!"

Pauline sauntered around the corner, dual shotguns in her hands and a sword buried in its sheath. Immediately the group tended up, Luigi not exactly knowing what to do since his fight experience had been limited.

While Rosalina and Toadette were both powerful, the loss of Kaira as well as Saiko's power was detrimental to their chances of winning, and Pauline knew that. Now that Bloody Hell was out of the equation, she had a chance.

She just had to be fast.

"Well, why are we just standing here? Get her!" Daisy shouted.

"No...Daisy," Rosalina held her hand out. "You all go ahead... and destroy the Grand Star... I'll destroy Pauline."

"Hmmph... Bring it, princess. Mario wouldn't be happy, but I'll be pleased with the opportunity to finally kill you," Pauline grinned maliciously, and the others nodded, running past them to continue to the Grand Star.

"My replacement..." Rosalina narrowed her blue eyes.

"Scheming blondie."

"Warden...bitch."

"Stupid as a rock."

Rosalina glared at Pauline, and without wasting another moment on pointless banter, launched herself at the grey eyed woman.

<><><>

"Are we almost there?!" Daisy gasped for breath as her, Toadette and Luigi had been running for so long to the last Grand Star. Strangely enough, there had been no monsters on the way there.

"I'm not sure," Toadette panted. "Fuck, please."

"We haven't seen Mario either," Luigi pointed out as he desperately tried to catch his breath. "What are we going to do if he shows up?"

"We'll be fine.." Toadette murmured, more to reassure herself more than anyone. "Worst comes to worst, leave me behind."

"No," Daisy shook her head vehemently. "We've done enough of that. Stay with us. We don't know what to do without someone to guide us."

"Thats not true, Daisy," Toadette said softly. "Without you, we don't know what to do either. We wouldn't have broken out."

"I doubt that."

"W-well, Daisy," Luigi started, fiddling his fingers in between gasps of breath. "I would've died at this place if you weren't here to help me... so you still contributed."

"...I don't really know how much help I did," Daisy sighed. "But it doesn't matter. We just need to get the hell out of here."

"Amen."

They skidded to a stop, their eyes wide as they gazed at the final Grand Star. Like the others, it was golden, with round tips at the end and black 'eyes'. No guards or monsters were there to protect it- it was silent, and lonely. The star was the last thing that had held Kaira stuck in Satsuki's body, the last step to stopping the magical restraints, and last off, it would open the exits of the prison... presumably.

None of them knew for sure, but they did knew that only good things could come from breaking the Grand Star. After all, Satsuki was dead. While both sides of their friend had fallen, it meant that there was no longer a threat to the human population...but it still hurt to lose the cold redhead.

Saiko as well, she would be liberated once they destroyed the Grand Star. Daisy didn't know what Saiko was going to do without Satsuki Kaira Reiko, but now Saiko could travel the world. These thoughts continued in her mind, and Daisy used them to push forward.

"Let's destroy this Grand Star, shall we?"

hey everyone! hope you enjoyed the update.

question of the chapter: who will win; Rosalina or Pauline?

thanks for reading!