Chapter 32

"I have intel," Toadette announced to the group consisting of the usual Daisy, Rosalina, Kaira, Saiko, and Luigi. Everyone was gathered in Daisy's and Rosalina's room. "Mario is panicking over the Grand Star's destructions. He's placed guards- Hammer Bros with a koopa shell for protection and wings. They're big, too. Not a big deal for any of us with our weapons, but whoever goes in has to wear a pink cloak, use a huge hammer, and with no magic."

"So basically... a big deal," Kaira grumbled, her red hair covering her eyes. "None of us can use a hammer well. It's too suspicious if we go into the training area and suddenly start practicing with a giant hammer."

"I mean, you and Saiko could probably do it, right?" Luigi asked curiously, not quite understanding that not being adept at a weapon did mean the difference between life and death. It didn't matter how strong one was with a weapon- if they didn't know what to do with another, they were useless. "You guys could probably pick up on it quicker than we all could."

"Saiko should do it," The blue haired female said, looking slightly dejected at the use of a hammer instead of a a scythe. She brightened, however. "Saiko already knows how to wield every weapon."

"What? How?" Daisy was in awe. "That's so cool."

"It's Mario's...and my fault," Rosalina admitted, looking down at her feet encased in blue heels. "When we created Saiko... we wanted the perfect being. Saiko... has knowledge and the aptitude for every single weapon... but she chose the scythe."

"Wasn't as tacky as the others," Saiko shrugged, glaring at Rosalina momentarily. "Everything else didn't feel right, either."

"I remember," Kaira nodded, looking over at the girl. "You thought katanas weren't fun. I literally was just trying to talk to you, and you tried to challenge me to a duel."

"How does...how does Kaira remember that?" Saiko stared blatantly. "Well...never mind. Yes, Saiko's remembers. Saiko wasn't exactly friendly back then."

"You? Not friendly?" Daisy's eyes were wide. "I can't even imagine that."

"Oh, yes," Saiko nodded, no trace of a smile on her face. Their pasts were not a fun part of their lives, from all the loss they've faced. "In fact, Saiko used to be rather...emotionless. Saiko hated people. It was Satsuki who was so happy, and innocent."

"I don't want to talk about this!" Kaira's yelled out, shutting her red eyes. She was obviously reliving what had happened before, and it was nothing pretty. She'd lost practically all of her friends at such a young age, and while Saiko was at least able to talk about her past, even though it was painful and brought her close to tears, Kaira was unable to handle. After all, Kaira had been much closer to all the friends she'd lost then Saiko had. "Stop. Just stop."

"Kaira..." Rosalina started to try and reassure her adoptive daughter, but the redhead wasn't hearing any of it.

"No! Stop. Just... stop," Kaira placed her hands over her ears. While the girl was normally calm and didn't react to emotion or loss, instead relishing in it, it was a different story for her friends. She headed towards the door, running out.

Saiko sighed, sprinting after the girl, calling her name, leaving the rest of the group in silence.

"...Daisy, you should...practice with the hammer," Rosalina stated. "Luigi and I will...be your opponents."

"Um...okay," Daisy shrugged, but she didn't really have another choice since Rosalina insisted, and she did want to leave. "That's fine."

"Okay... remember, no magic."

<><><>

Kaira was sitting in the deserted corridors of the prison. No one would bother her, she knew. It was an arena day as usual, but it wasn't anyone exciting so everyone was inside, and resting. No one would bother her either way, she was deadly after all.

"Kaira."

Dammit.

"It's going to be okay," The blue haired female suffering from insanity told her, sitting next to her

"It's going to be okay," The blue haired female suffering from insanity told her, sitting next to her. Kaira's eyes squeezed shut as she relived everything. Saiko's arms wrapped around her loved one, coaxing her. "It's okay."

The bullet lodged into the back of her skull-

STOP.

Utari, wake up! Please! Utari!

STOP!

It's gnashing teeth tore off her leg-

STOP!!

"It's not okay!" Kaira shouted, her arms pulling her legs closer to her, and Saiko rubbed her back. "None... none of them deserved to die. They...they..."

"Saiko knows..."

"No," Kaira was quite obviously close to breaking down, but she never cried, and she wasn't about to start now. "You don't know, because you never liked them. I loved them. They were my family..."

"...Scarlet," Saiko said quietly. "Scarlet was Saiko's...genuine friend. Tsuki, too. You know how... you know how it was. Don't say Saiko doesn't understand. Saiko knows... it's okay. We'll get through it."

"I don't understand," Kaira whispered. "Why'd he have to do it...?"

"Saiko doesn't know. Saiko doesn't know."

Hey everyone! I reread Sanity... yeah my poor babies. That gif is for an upcoming project.

(Y'all want an update for this or Sanity next?)

Question of the chapter: who do you want to see more of?

Thanks for reading!