Chapter 23

"I'm getting a new warden today," Pauline frowned as she told Mario. "I was planning on letting Toadette or Birdo choose, but they're both taking too long."

"Sounds good to me," Mario gave her a thumbs-up. "Just let Birdo know."

"I understand."

The two parted ways, and Pauline was left to think of who she could choose.

Hmm...

"Pauline?"

The brunette warden looked up to see the white haired woman approach her.

"Good to see you around," Pauline commented. "These days, all I see are orange haired trash. Oh, that's only one person..."

"It's good to see you too," Samantha replied. "How are you?"

As the two talked, Pauline realized something.

Samantha was smart.

She didn't like people talking to her.

Most of all, Samantha wanted to be here.

Perfect.

"So, Samantha... are you interested in being a warden?"

<><><>

What am I afraid of

What am I afraid of?

Kaira stared at the other version of herself, almost feeling pity for the other girl. She'd been through so much, but she'd taken so many lives...

The other girl? Who was she kidding? They were one and the same. The only difference was their beliefs. Kaira didn't need to act like a saint now. She's done just as terrible things.

"I get it, no one wants to admit what they're terrified of," Satsuki smirked. "I have a feeling I know what yours is anyway."

"No, you don't."

"I'm terrified...no, scared of only two things," Satsuki ignored Kaira's interjection. "One, losing Saiko. And two, losing my own body to you."

Kaira didn't have to be a genius to understand Satsuki's anger towards herself. She took a deep breath, slashing a loose tendril that had tried to wrap around her arms.

"I'll tell you what," Satsuki drawled. "I've actually got a present for you if you make it out. I won't tell you what it is, but it's up to you to decide what to do with it. So, spit it out. Come on, we don't have all day."

"And what if I don't say anything?" Kaira asked the more sadistic version of herself wearily. "Then what?"

"Easy," Satsuki snapped her fingers, and the black substance enveloped her arms and legs, trapping her in place. "I kill you."

Kaira growled as it tightened around her body, trying to think of a plan.

She couldn't think of anything.

"Fine, you wanna hear it? Do you get off of this or something?" Kaira snarled.

"Definitely," Satsuki rolled her eyes in sarcasm. "Real mature."

"...I just... you and I really are the same person," Kaira narrowed her eyes. "I don't want to lose Saiko... I don't want to lose this body to you."

"Figures. You're me, after all."

BAM BAM BAM

Saiko fell to the ground as three bullets dug into her chest. Kaira ran to her, cradling the girl in her arms.

"Please don't go..."

"Saiko... Saiko will miss you," Saiko coughed slightly. "Be.. Safe.."

"You can't leave me... not like everyone else. Please, please don't go," Kaira begged. "Why..."

"I'm... sorry, Kaira.."

Kaira leaned over Saiko's body in pain, holding the girl closer to her as she grieved. Sobs escaped her mouth as she tried to revive the girl with no luck.

"S-Saiko...please come back... please..!"

Kaira's head flung slightly back from the sudden clip that had played inside her head. Before she could even think about it though, another one invaded her head.

HAHAHAHAHAH

Satsuki smiled at the feeling of actually being able to move her limbs at free will again. Meanwhile, Kaira screamed inside her head to try to regain control, but it was pointless at that time.

The first person she'd target was obvious- the ones trying to break out of prison.

SLICE

Her own blades sliced through Saiko's skin, Muramasa thrusting into Saiko's chest. Saiko gasped as she dropped Permafrost, and fell to  the ground. Kaira kneeled down, trying to comfort Saiko in her last moments.

"K-kaira-"

"I'm sorry, Saiko..." Kaira looked away. "I'm so sorry..."

It looked like Saiko wanted to say more, but she was unable to as she took her final breath. Kaira gently used her hand to close her eyes, cradling her body.

"Saiko..."

SPLIT

"Sorry," Satsuki smirked at her. "Check this out. Two different people."

"What..? This can't be happening.."

"Oh, yes it is," Satsuki laughed. "Look, we both get what we want. Our own body. And now I can go get-"

"No, no, no," Kaira shook her head. "You can't be here. You can't be here!"

"Wha? Of course I can be here?"

"No, no, no. You're not real. You're not real," Kaira realized. "None of this is real."

All of a sudden it felt like Kaira has been brought back. She gasped for breath as she suddenly saw Satsuki sitting in the chair again, and the black substance released her. Kaira fell to her knees, confused.

"Well, congrats," Satsuki bit her lip. "Face your fears, you did."

Kaira couldn't stop herself from glaring at the other version of herself.

"Truth is, I'm not real," Satsuki scowled. "At least, in this world. All will be explained later... but I've got a present for you. Remember what we talked about. It's up to you to decide."

With that, Satsuki stood up from her chair, and it moved slightly to reveal a door. Kaira hastily stood, grabbing Tentetsutou, and with one last look at Satsuki, headed towards the door.

Holy crud I wrote that in like 25 minutes. Talk about inspiration, haha.

Question (s) of the chapter: What's causing this book to lose its spark?

What's through that door?

Who would ever want to be friends with Pauline? (Me lol maybe)

Thanks for reading!