Chapter 39

"What do you need?"

The redhead narrowed her eyes at the woman in charge. Pauline glared back, the two assertive women not breaking their gaze for even a second.

"I'm here to see Mario," Kaira scowled, crossing her arms. Muramasa and Tentetsutou were strapped at her waist, but Pauline wasn't fazed. Kaira's magic was only initiated upon blood being spilled, and once the magic cuffs even so much as touched Kaira, their energy would drain her completely. "You know, he is my father."

"Right," Pauline scoffed, narrowing her colorless eyes as they stared at Kaira. "Mario's busy."

"Fine. I'm here to ask him if he can do anything to fix this shitty feeling I get when a Grand Star breaks," Kaira snapped, coming up with a lie on the spot. "Cause it's horrible."

"...fair enough," Pauline sighed, not exactly able to disagree with Kaira's words because even though she wanted nothing to do with Mario, her body ached in pain from the Grand Star's destruction, and if Mario could fix that, Kaira would not be complaining. Even though Pauline didn't act like it at all, she did care for the well-being of the redhead. While it was partly for her selfish reasons such as keeping Mario happy as well as the prison in order, she also had grown fond of the girl and her crazy nature. "He's here. Go in, you know where."

As they turned around, no one saw the brief flicker of her blood red eyes changing to a helpless girl trapped inside, before switching back to the strong exterior of the redhead.

"Ah, Satsuki. What brings you here?" Mario smirked slightly, not looking up as he continued with his work. His blue eyes brought off a calm and happy aura, hiding his true intentions behind them. He sat at his desk, papers cluttering the brown piece of wood, with a console controlling the many cameras in front of him. "Surely it's to tell me some better news than what I've been receiving."

"Yeah, definitely," Kaira shook her head in disbelief. "Do you have something for my pain? The Grand Star's breaking is fucking irritating."

"You are supposed to stop that," Mario sighed. "I can try to make something for it."

Mario was so busy with his work, that when he finally looked up, it was impossible to notice the lack of pupils in Kaira's eyes.

"Oh, Mario?" Kaira said innocently, immediately making him suspicious. He stared at her for a moment longer. "You didn't do a good enough job of sealing me up inside."

"Satsuki-"

Faster than a second, her blades were drawn and danced around the room, destroying the console controlling the security. Mario roared in hysteria and rage, his hard work being ruined by his own daughter and pissing him off.

"Satsuki!"

<><><>

"Everyone, remain in your cells!" Pauline's voice blared over the intercom. "If we see you leave, we will not hesitate to murder!"

"Rosalina!" Daisy called out, the platinum blonde and the blue haired female already shrugging on their signature pink cloaks. Rosalina opened a portal, taking the hammer and with another wave of her hands, another portal opened, and Saiko and Rosalina disappeared. Left behind with Luigi, Daisy shrugged and fell back on her bed.

"...so, got anything to pass the time?"

<><><>

"Saiko hopes Rosalina knows how much this is hurting Kaira since Rosalina apparently cares about Saiko and Kaira."

Leaving Saiko with Rosalina was not a good idea as since the security system was down, Saiko had taken to flaming Rosalina as much as possible. The blue haired female glared down Rosalina, the platinum blonde looking away shamefully.

"I do care... I know I didn't show it very well when I was younger..."

"No, Rosalina didn't show it at all," Saiko scoffed. "Rosalina only cared about Mario and barely Satsuki-"

"That's not true," Rosalina shot back, their pace increasing. "I cared about Satsuki just as much as I...did you and Mario!"

"Okay, whatever. Believe whatever Rosalina wants to. Saiko knows it's not true, but whatever."

Rosalina didn't have a chance to retaliate when a huge, sludge like monster appeared out of the dark corridor to the left of them. It was a ugly greying color, with huge brown puppy dog-like eyes, to offset it's original appearance. The sight was unsettling as it raised it's giant hands, ready to smush then at a moments notice.

Without blinking, Saiko charged at it, propelling herself upwards with a created ice block and swinging three times, her scythe cutting through its head. At the same time, Rosalina waved her hands in a circular motion, and a concentrated beam of galactic energy flowed out, hitting it square in the face. The monster fell to the ground, disappearing into sludge.

"Let's go. We don't have..time to argue."

Without another word, the two continued on their way, finally making it to the Grand Star room. As they approached, three more of the sludge monsters appeared. Saiko sighed, her scythe swinging and impaling the first monster, ice encasing it and then shattering. Rosalina blasted the next monster in the face, waving her arms and creating a portal, closing it off before the monster could fall in, its face getting cut off.

The last one was immediately splashed in the face with water, Rosalina shooting it with galactic energy, and it crashed to the ground. Without missing a beat, Saiko's scythe cut through the Grand Star, shattering it and the glass immediately.

A second later, they disappeared through another portal.

<><><>

Their cloaks and the pink hammer all floated away into another of Rosalina's portals as they plopped down in Daisy's room as if nothing had happened. The orange haired girl smiled.

"One more Grand Star..."

Hey everyone! Hope you're enjoying. Nearing the end...

Question of the chapter: what are the repercussions on Kaira for breaking the system?

Thanks for reading!