Chapter 22

"Stop," Kaira spat. "Look, I know that we have our own reasons. But I have to do this for Saiko."

"Right, right," Satsuki shrugged. "That's what I expected myself to say, anyway. Well, there's nothing left to do but take you out, then. It'll be nice to have full control of, well, myself again."

Immediately, the black tendrils appeared again and Kaira sliced the substance before it could reach her.

"I'm you. It's going to take a lot more than this to take me down."

Satsuki smiled.

"Good thing there's a lot of this to spare, then."

Her blade sliced, cutting through the black tendrils- but more just kept coming, no matter how much she cut. Satsuki sat back, watching as Kaira struggled to destroy all of the substance.

"Why!?" Kaira snapped suddenly, as she cut one more tendril. "Why'd you have to do this? Why can't we all just-"

"I thought you were smarter than this, but apparently Daisy's been putting bullshit into your head," Satsuki drawled. "We just went over this."

"I-"

"Did we not? I'm pretty sure we did."

"Sat-"

She was cut off as a memory flooded her head.

"Daddy, I'm bored," Satsuki complained, plopping down into a seat next to the two. "Entertain me."

"I've got things to do," Mario laughed. "Why don't you go train, or read, or something?"

"I could read a story to you," Rosalina offered.

"But... I want someone else I can talk to," Satsuki told them. "Like a... a friend. That's what they're called, right?"

Mario and Rosalina exchanged glances.

"I don't know if we can do that," Rosalina replied gently. "I don't-"

"But... I'm so lonely."

Rosalina looked at Mario once more, and nodded.

"Maybe we can get you a friend," Mario responded. "We'll have to think it over."

"Okay!"

"H-how the hell-"

"You're me...but I'm not you. I know everything about myself, last time i checked. You would never be able to beat me," Satsuki told her simply. "Face your fears, Kaira. What are we really scared of?"

<><><>

"Things aren't going to get better without any action, Daisy."

Daisy turned around, surprised to see the brunette warden clothed in red.

"W-what do you mean?" Daisy stammered. "I-"

"Oh, please, I'm not stupid," Pauline rolled her eyes. "And neither is Mario. I'm sure you already know, but one of our Grand Stars have been destroyed. Hmm? I wonder who that could be..."

Crap. She knows...

"I mean, there's only one entrance to the Grand Star that was destroyed," Pauline mocked. "I wonder who could've done it... two people in pink cloaks. Wonder who it could be."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Daisy kept her voice as steady as she could. "I don't even know what these Grand Stars are, to be completely honest."

"Yeah, yeah," Pauline laughed. "I'm sure. But you should know that I'm on your side. I'm going to help you get out of here, but first you have to let me know it's actually you. Can't help you without confirmation, sweetheart."

"I.."

Daisy didn't trust Pauline. She never would. Daisy shook her head, pretending she had no idea what the warden was talking about.

"Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about," Daisy told her. "Hope you get luck finding those people, though."

Daisy turned around and walked away as fast as she could, hoping she didn't just blow their cover.

<><><>

"Samantha? Hey, Samantha! Is that you?"

"Oh... you've got to be kidding me."

Samantha sighed as the brown haired Alexis made her way over.

"We met at the party, right?" Alexis chirped. "Nice to see you again. How've you been?"

"Just grand."

"Well, I'm glad to hear!"

Samantha watched as the girl rambled on and on, before turning away.

"That's great, Alexis. I've just... got to go. I'll see you around."

"Oh, okay! Bye!"

Samantha watched as the cheerful girl turned around, and walked away. She began to talk to the blonde haired girl dubbed Bunny.

She remembered when she once had that energy...

But enough about that.

She needed to find her one friend in this entire prison- Pauline.

<><><>

"So," Mario drawled. It was a meeting between all the wardens- and Mario, of course. "Did you have any luck, Pauline?"

"None," Pauline scowled. "I tried to guilt them by saying there was only one entrance to the Grand Star room... but they didn't fall for it. I thought you said Rosalina didn't know about the extra entrances."

"She doesn't," Mario sighed. "They must've found out some other way. It's fine. We'll figure something out."

"Are you ever going to replace that prisoner-warden that died?" Birdo interjected. "I would like someone else working under me again, besides Toadette. She's too strict."

"Yeah, yeah," Mario waved her away. "We'll get it sorted out."

"Well, good," Wendy Koopa looked at her nails. "Can I leave now?"

"Sure. Everyone's dismissed."

Pauline turned away, but she would find out what Daisy and them were planning.

Hey everyone... hope you guys enjoyed the chapter. I literally hate how Alexis looks, sorry... whoops. I tried like twenty times to draw her and I hated it every time. This was the lesser of all the evils.

Question(s) of the chapter: what does Kaira fear the most?

What's your favorite Mario game? (Mine is Super Mario Galaxy, the first one.)

Thanks for reading.