Chapter 2. Cursed Magi

Phana's POV

"School is starting again tommorow, you'll be in your junior year aren't you excited?"

"No."

"Oh come on Phana, it will be fun and maybe you will get a nice freshman mentee."

"Ughh! Why did you sign me up for that stupid Senior-Junior mentorship."

"I didn't. Every 3rd year students need to have a Senior-Junior mentor. Don't you remember you had one as well."

"No."

"What? It was Nong Prem remember?"

"Oh yeah." I looked my dead boredly in the eyes and answered. "I made him stop talking to me." I faked a smile at my dad for a second before rolling my eyes and resting my head in my arms again.

"Phana, you shouldn't use your magic like that." My dad sat besides me and put his hand on my head, playing with my hair. "Phana, I know about your reputation. The handsome bad boy with powerful magic that only gives glances to those he deems worthy. But we all know that isn't you, so why don't you try to change that?"

"Why should i...my magic pushes everyone away. I wish I was born a Non-Magi."

"Phana don't say that. You should be proud you have such strong magic. But why don't you try to change your mood a bit. A smile can do a lot of good. One smile was how it all started for me and your father."

"No it didn't. You and Papa are Signers, it was destined. And I'm destined to be alone forever. That's why I got this stupid power." I clench my fist to stop myself from crying.

My name is Phana Kongthanin, son of Gump and Sunz Kongthanin, two members of the Magic Council. Of course they aren't my biological parents but I treat them like my actual parents, I don't really feel like talking about my past or what happened to my biological parents, it still hurts me just to think about them and it's because of them that I have this stupid magic. Let me explain. I use Despair Magic, which comes from the dark element. A few things I can do with my magic are; Letting plants rot and animals die with a single touch, I can corrupt peoples minds and make them go insane, I can control people and turn them into zombies, I can cast illusions over people...things like that, you know. Depressing Magic. I really hate this. In Middle school I learned what my magic was, I didn't go to elementary school but Papa and Dad allowed me to go to middle school anyways. I wasn't a happy kid, I always tried to stay quiet and hide myself from crowds, because honestly...people scared me. They still do but being around people for so long made me get used to it a bit yet I still don't like to be touched or look people directly in the eyes. I distance myself and people might think I have a cocky or bad attitude but it's just because I'm scared, I don't want to hurt people with my magic. I study alchemy and herbalism to make medicine. I want to help people, cure them. But I am cursed with this type of magic which is only meant for pain and disaster.

All I want is just a friend.

I had a friend once, his name was Thanit. He was the first person I opened up to. It was in my first year of high school. He was the only one to approach me when others wouldn't. I told him to stay away, but he was persistent but eventually I came to like it, no matter how much I pushed him away, he stuck to me so I just accepted it and I was happier than ever. For the first time in my life, I had a friend. He was cool, he used Flower magic. People bullied him sometimes saying it was a girly magic but honestly it was beautiful. He created a flower for me, a silver rose that I still hold dear to this day in my room. It was something he called an Eternal Rose, no matter what kind of magic, no matter what kind of natural disaster, it would survive. And he was right, it was one of the only plants that wouldn't rot when I held it for a longer period of time. I busted into tears and Thanit became my best friend.