LIII. Fallin'

~~~~~~~I swore I'd never fall again, but this don't even feel like falling

~~~~~~~
I swore I'd never fall again, but this don't even feel like falling. Gravity can't forget to pull me back to the ground again
~
//That weekend//

Sitting in the front row with Aanyah resting in my arms with her pacifier, I listened in as the chief was wrapping up his speech on how dedicated Marcus was to the force.

"And for that alone– that mindset, I believe that this young man should be promoted to one of our finest officers. To set a goal for new and current recruits. To show them the way and what this job makes become once you put that uniform on everyday. I congratulate you, Marcus Jones and I have the up most respect for you and your work. Please welcome the this brave young man to accept this award of bravery" The chief said, turning around to present Marcus with a plaque and to allow him to speak.

*Applause from audience*

"Thank you and thank you for coming out to honor me. I'm very touched and this is honestly a dream come true for me. Ever since I was a little boy, I looked up to firefighter and to those who put their lives on the line to save others. It inspired me to be as...selfless as they are and thus I became the man I am today. I look forward to serving this neighborhood with my new position as lieutenant and you shall count on me to always do my best. I personally wanna thank the chief, captain Avery and my buddies in this department. I wanna thank my beautiful girlfriend *smiles and points at me* in the front row who has not only made me a better person but has brought me yet another beautiful child into my life. Rowan I love you. Thanks for coming once again and God bless"

*Applause*👏🏼

//Minutes later//

Watching Lynetta, Marcus's mother hold Aanyah up in her arms, I smiled but was pulled aside by the fire chief himself.

"Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself to you. I am honored to have Marcus working under our forces. You're husband is a great and humble man, you must be proud of what he has achieved".  ...err husband?🙃😳

"Yes, I am proud of him. I tell him everyday that he's a superhero in my eyes. He really is an angel"

"Bravery is what it is. I never met such a young man so...enthused to save others. It's a blessing that he has. I wish you two the best of luck. May God bless you and your family"

"Thank you" I smiled, watching him walk away.

I felt so overwhelmed by all the feelings. I knew Marcus was a good guy but he really is. A lot of people know his name and our business now. His mother is even getting on my back about treating him right. I had a good man but I was afraid of fucking up. So, I did my best to make him happy.
~
//Early September//

Marc😘🚒: miss you 😕