mysterious boy |e|

(so the title is a peter andre joke, if any of you get that then props to you)

e t h a n :

It was a tradition. Your mom was British and had brought the tradition of firework night with her when she moved to live with your dad. Every November 5th was firework/bonfire night.

Ethan's family were invited this year, through a distant relative of yours, and your mom had spent hours convincing you to go with the promise of 'hot guys'. You gave in eventually, like she knew you would. Who can resist hot guys?

You changed into some leggings and one of your dads old sweaters, it hanging off your body, way too big for your frame.

Ethan noticed you the second you exited the car, laughing at your dad winding your mom up. He was halfway through a burger, stopping his chewing as he stared over at you. Given that it was a family event, you'd decided against wearing makeup, and had done your hair into two neat French braids. You looked cosy, he noted almost immediately.

A few hours past, and the adults had cracked open the beers, leaving the teens to mingle. It was mainly cousins and soon enough you noticed the boy that'd been discreetly watching you since you arrived.

He was wearing black sweatpants, a grey vans hoodie and some old skool vans. He looked good. Somehow the two of you got closer and closer, and ended up being the only two people that weren't engaged in a conversation.

Grayson had started a game of football up, and pretty much everyone - besides you, Ethan and the adults - joined him.

"I'm y/n." You introduced, holding a hand out to him.

"Ethan." He answered shortly, making you frown as you watched the game from beside him. You were sure he was checking you out earlier, so his blunt attitude confused you.

"You're a family friend?" He nodded, motioning towards his parents that were chatting with your parents, your aunt and your uncle. They must be how he got invited.

"We moved recently, so had to drive out for this." Not knowing what to reply with, you turned to look at him, smiling up at him gently. You didn't let it bother you that he barely returned it, because you could see behind his eyes that he wanted to. So for the rest of the game you were both silent, and eventually the adults called you all over for the fireworks.

You vaguely remember your aunt gossiping about her best friends son that had gotten into a lot of trouble where they lived, so they had to move. You remember wondering what on earth could be so bad that the whole family had to up and move, but never asked because you didn't want to get in trouble for eavesdropping. That must be Ethan.

Standing with your parents, you couldn't take your eyes off of him. Firework night had always been a favourite of yours, but you barely noticed the bright colours that flashed in the sky when he was stood right in front of you. His mom had her head rested on his shoulder, his sister, brother and dad all huddled together in the cold night air.

After a while, he looked right back at you, and when you surprised yourself by confidently keeping the eye contact, he smirked.

Within the next hour you were home, switching out of your clothes, and into some comfier pyjamas, you made your way down the stairs to get a hot drink before bed, but stopped in your tracks as you walked past the entrance hall.

There stood Ethan and his family, chatting away with your parents. And when your mom turned and saw you there, she called you over.

"This is our daughter, y/n." She introduced you and you shook Ethan's parents hands, looking to your mom for an explanation for their late night visit. "I didn't want them driving all that way in the middle of the night after having drunk as much as they did, so they're staying here for the night."

And with one look at the smirking teenage boy, you knew it'd be one hell of a night, and that you'd probably be in a lot of trouble by the end of it.