CHAPTER 6

Later, you and Sherlock stands on a rooftop  of a tall building and gizing over your favourite city.

"I can't believe I'm back." You mumbles but Sherlock heard you, "How are you?" He asked.

You were taken aback, he's not always like that, "I'm good." You coolly answered. "Though, Mycroft annoys me all the time."

Sherlock chuckled at your answer, "I know. That's the reason why he doesn't have friends."

Both of you we're catching up for about an hour and didn't noticed the time. Well, maybe you missed talking to each other.

He's not the sociopath that everyone knows when he's with you and sometimes when John's around. He may be a jerk sometimes, nope! Not sometimes, most of the time but he's a good friend.

"Hey, (y/n)! Are you listening to me? I said lets go. We need to surprise John!" Sherlock said, snapping you back to reality. You just smile at him, then follow him.

@The Landmark Hotel, Marylebone Road

You and Sherlock approached the door of the restaurant, handing your coats to a member of staff.

The waiters open the doors for you and ypu confidently walks in. The maître d' steps forward, "Sir, ma'am, may I help you?"

You glance at him and starts deducing him, you seem to hear a woman crying out in pain; Expectant Father.

As if on queue the man's phone beeps a text alert.

"Your wife just texted you." you said as if it's normal.

"Possibly her contractions have started." Sherlock added.

The man fishes his phone out of his pocket, looks at the screen and hurries away. Sherlock smiles smugly to himself while he looks at you which makes you roll your eyes.

Just then, your eyes catches the image of the person you needed to see. John. He's currently sitting alone at a table.

You softly shake Sherlock, "Sherl.." you said, then points John.

Sherlock inhales as he looks across the room. Both of you were hesitating, but then nodded to yourselves that you can do it.

The two of you proceeded to your plan, both of you parted ways.

You sat on a table near John's, enough not to see you while you wait for Sherlock to finish what he needs to do. The plan is, Sherlock will be the first one to approach John.

You watch him whilst he effortlessly get the things he needed for his disguise. When Sherlock turns back, he has drawn a small pencil moustache on his top lip. You laugh silently, not wanting to gain John's attention.

Moustache doesn't suit any of my friends. They look horrible!

Now, Sherlock goes over to John's table, standing to his left and one step behind him.

Oh, I'm gonna enjoy this.

"Can I 'elp you with anything, sir?" Sherlock said addressing John in a French accent.

"Hi, yeah. I'm looking for a bottle of champagne - a good one." John said not looking round at him.

Sherlock lean closer, "Mmm! Well, these are all excellent vintages."

"Er, it's not really my area. What do you suggest?" John said asking for any suggestion.

"Well, you cannot possibly go wrong, but, erm, if you'd like my personal recommendation ..." Sherlock answered, and his French accent becoming a little Captain du Creff-esque now.

"Mm-hm."

"... this last one on the list is a favourite of mine." Sherlock recommended back with his French accent while gesturing at the list with his eyeliner pencil. John nods, still not looking up at him.

"It is - you might, in fact, say - like a face from ze past." Sherlock continues straightening up. He takes off his glasses and waits expectantly. John still doesn't look round.

"Great. I'll have that one, please." John said agreeing with Sherlock while he finish his glass of red wine.

A startled Sherlock looked at you, John hasn't recognised him yet. You nod at him gesturing to continue on what he is doing.

"It is familiar, but, er, with the quality of surprise!" Sherlock said and he almost lapses into his own voice on the final word and he gestures grandly.

John grimaces at the taste of his wine, then - without looking round - he hands the wine list to the man he thinks is the wine waiter. "Well, er, surprise me." John answered.

"Certainly endeavouring to, sir." tetchily in pretty much his own voice, Sherlock walks away.

You watch John as he reaches into his inside jacket pocket and pulls out a small red velvet box. Opening it, he looks at the three-stone diamond ring inside, then closes the box and puts it on the table in front of him.

You blink your eyes rapidly, still consuming the scene you just saw.

John fidgets with the box, turning it this way and that, perhaps in an attempt to make it look perfectly placed. He blows out a nervous breath as his dinner date rejoins him, patting his shoulder before walking round to her own seat.

"Sorry that took so long." the woman said.

John snatches the box off the table and shoves it back into his pocket. She sits down and smiles at him. "You okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, yeah. Me? Fine. I am fine." He answered, obviously nervous. She just smile sweetly at him. John chuckles and gazes at her with a delighted look on his face.

"Now then, what did you want to ask me?" She said asking John.

John's smile fades and he looks very nervous again. "More wine?"

"No, I'm good with water, thanks." She said.

"Right." He briefly looks away.

"So ..." she said, waiting for John to say something.

"Er, so ... Mary. Listen, erm ... I know it hasn't been long ... I mean, I know we haven't known each other for a long time ..." He said looking down, clearly struggling.

So her name is Mary. Interesting name.

"Go on." She said encouragingly.

"Yes, I will. As you know, these last couple of years haven't been easy for me; and meeting you ..." He looks at her for a moment, then nods. "Yeah, meeting you has been the best thing that could have possibly happened."

"I agree." she said, smiling.

"What?"

"I agree I'm the best thing that could have happened to you." she said still smiling. Wow, she's confident. John laughs. Mary screws up her nose apologetically. "Sorry."

"Well, no. That's, um ..." He pauses, then looks at her. "So ... if you'll have me, Mary, could you see your way, um ..." She giggles. He clears his throat. "... if you could see your way to ..." Just as he's about to go for it, Sherlock glides over to the table, still with the glasses, the ridiculous fake moustache, the ridiculous fake accent, and now with the added bonus bottle of champagne.

Wow, nice timing Sherl. You ruined the moment.