CHAPTER 7

"Sir, I think you'll find this vintage exceptionally to your liking." Sherlock said still in his French accent.

The woman that John's with shields her face with her hand so that Sherlock can't see her as she giggles silently at John.

"It 'as all the qualities of the old, with some of the colour of the new." Sherlock added.

"No, sorry, not now, please." John said, his eyes locked on the woman.

Sherlock looks at you, and you're glaring at him. He gave you a confused look and continue talking to John. "Like a gaze from a crowd of strangers ..." John's date pulls a face at him but still he continue " ... suddenly one is aware of staring into ze face of an old friend." Sherlock said, then he take off his glasses.

"No, look, seriously ..." John said and finally lifts his gaze to meet Sherlock in the eyes "... could you just ..." When John realise who's in front of him, his face drops. His entire body jolts and he stares with an expression of utter disbelief.

"Interesting thing, a tuxedo. Lends distinction to friends, and anonymity to waiters." Sherlock said back in his normal accent.

John turns his head towards Mary, his eyes were slowly filling with tears. He ducks his head momentarily before he stumbles clumsily to his feet.

You inhaled deeply, getting ready for your entrance.

"John?" Mary said to John looking concerned.

As John straightens up, Sherlock begins to move his right hand forward as if expecting John to shake it but John looks down at the table breathing heavily before lifting his head and briefly locking eyes with Sherlock.

"John, what is it? What?" Mary asked John, concern were present to her voice but John looks down not answering Mary, clearly still in shock.

"Well, short version ..." Sherlock said awkwardly as John raises his eyes to him again. "... Not Dead."

John were just staring at him, his face full of pain, shock and growing anger.

Sherlock finally seems to catch on and looks a little guilty. You feel guilty too of course, you can't just go there and tell John that 'I'm here and alive, surprise!'. The look at his face, it's full of anger.

Still not standing up even though you need to, you listen to them, "Bit mean, springing it on you like that, I know. Could have given you a heart attack, probably still will. But in my defence, it was very funny." Sherlock laughs nervously, not meeting John's eyes, which is probably for the best because John's gaze is slowly turning murderous. "Okay, it's not a great defence." He added.

"Oh no! You're ..." Mary said, shocked.

"Oh yes." Sherlock said glancing towards her, then he looks at your table making Mary to turn her head towards you.

You froze on your place as you look at her and then to John who's staring at you in disbelief.

"Oh, my God." Mary said, shocked.

"Not quite." Sherlock said.

"You died. You both died on the.. roof.." she's looked more shock that John.

"No." Sherlock said.

You bit your lip and stand up. You walk slowly towards John's table and gave them a really awkward smile.

"You're dead!" Mary appalled.

"No. I'm quite sure. I checked. Excuse me." Sherlock said.

"Sherlock! Don't act like that!!" You whisper to him. He picks up a napkin from the table and dips it into Mary's glass of water and then starts to rub off his moustache.

"Does, er, does yours rub off, too?" Sherlock said trying to sound nonchalant as he meets John's furious gaze.

You elbowed his side but he just glared at you.

You look at John and you were greeted by his tight smile which absolutely no humour at all.

Mary's anger is clear in her voice as she speaks. "Oh my God, oh my God. Do you have any idea what you've done to him? You two?!"

"Okay, John, I'm suddenly realising we probably owe you some sort of an apology." You said looking down nervously.

Clenching his left fist, John slams it down onto the table. Credit to the manufacturers of the table that he doesn't shatter it.

"All right, just ... John? Just keep ..." Mary said, calming him down. John pulls in a deep shaky breath before looking up at you then Sherlock. "Two years." He said in a whisper. He shakes his head, dragging in another long breath and blowing it out again before starting to straighten up. "Two years." Still in a tight whisper. He moans and slumps down over his hands again. John glances up at you and Sherlock momentarily. "I thought ..." He groans, unable to continue and gesturing helplessly.

Mary stares at him in sympathy. John finally straightens and turns to you. "I thought ... you were dead." His face begins to fill with anger again. "Hmm? You two." He breathes rapidly and shallowly. "Now, you both let me grieve, hmm? How could you two do that?"

Not knowing what to answer, you just look down and bit your lip.

"How?" John ask softly but furiously.

As John's breathing becomes more intense, "Wait - before you do anything that you might regret ..." Sherlock interrupted.

"Sherlock! Again, don't! You're the one who's gonna regret this!!" You said whispering.

"... um, one question. Just let me ask one question. Um ..." he said not minding you. John looks at him, his eyes still full of fury.

Sherlock is almost giggling as he gestures towards his own top lip then asked, "Are you really gonna keep that?!"

You looked up in disbelief. Really Sherlock? You're a complete idiot!

Sherlock grins as he turns his head to look at you then to Mary.

As Mary laughs in disbelief, John draws in one more long breath, then hurls himself at Sherlock, grabbing his lapels and bundling him back across the floor until Sherlock loses his footing and they both fall to the floor, John on top of Sherlock and trying to throttle him. You, Mary and various waiters run to pull John off Sherlock.

This is going to be a long night. Fuck this.