CHAPTER 41

"Well John. Fyi, this is not the first time Sherlock used a woman." You said, clenching your fists.

Sherlock knits his eyebrows and looks at  you, "What the hell are you talking about? I don't know why are you still angry with me, (Y/N)."

You look at him, "It's because you think everything you're doing is fun."

"Okay, okay. Kids, stop fighting. We're on the middle of a case. Now Sherlock, what are you gonna do?" John said, calming the both of you.

"Well, not actually marry her, obviously. There's only so far you can go."

"So what will you tell her?"

"Well, I'll tell her that our entire relationship was a ruse to break into her boss' office. I imagine she'll want to stop seeing me at that point but you're the expert on women."

"I'll punch you in the face Sherlock, after you solved this case and don't you ever try to stop me John." You said.

"Nope, do whatever you want." John said, Sherlock frowns and the lift stops at floor 32 and the doors open. Sherlock turns on his human smile and walks out, the three of you starts looking for Janine. After a moment you stopped, looking around more carefully and frowning when there's no sign of her. All of you walk into her office but she still can't be seen. "So where did she go?" John asked.

"It's a bit rude. I just proposed to her."

"Sherlock, (y/n) ..." you walked across the room towards the window and sees Janine lying on the floor. Sherlock does the same and walks over as John bends down to her.

"Did she faint? Do they really do that?"

John takes his hand from her head and finds blood on his fingers. "It's a blow to the head." He bends lower to her. "She's breathing. Janine?" She moans quietly. As you and Sherlock looks round the rest of the office and sees something in an adjoining room. "Another in here." You said, looking at the unconscious suited man lying face down on the floor. "Security."

"Does he need help?" John asked.

You walks to the man's side and looks down at him. Behind his left ear, which has an earpiece in it, is a small tattoo of the number 14. You looked down, another tattoo on the man's right hand between his thumb and index finger. The tattoo is five small dots, four of them in a square shape and the fifth in the middle of the square. "White supremacist, by the tattoo, so who cares? Stick with the bitch, I mean Janine."

Sherlock is still looking around the room and then goes to the nearby glass desk. He bends down, holding his hand over the top of it while looking at it closely, then works his way round to the other side, looking carefully at everything. He squats down to the leather chair behind the desk and puts his hand on the seat, immediately working out the temperature of the leather, "Hey. They must still be here." John whispered.

"So's Magnussen. His seat's still warm. He should be at dinner but he's still in the building." He looks around and then raises his eyes upwards. "Upstairs!" Sherlock said and John starts to get his phone from his pocket, "We should call the police. "

"During our own burglary?! You're really not a natural at this, are you?" You asked. John sighs and switches his phone off again. "No, wait, shh!" You said as you stand beside Sherlock, you closes your eyes, you sniff deeply and holds you hands out to the sides. You sniffs twice more, and takes a final one a deep long sniff.

"VERSACE... No 5" you said.

"Perfume - not Janine's." Sherlock said, you nodded.

You close your eyes and, take a deep sniff again. "PRADA... Dior" you waves those away, then opens you eyes and points upwards triumphantly, "Claire-de-la-lune! Why do I know it?" you asked, frowning.

"Mary wears it." John said.

"No, not Mary. Somebody else." Sherlock said, you and Sherlock lifts your heads as the both of you hears a noise from upstairs. Your gaze becomes intense. "Sherlock! (y/n)!" The both of you run across the room to the stairwell and hurrying upwards. Up in what must be Magnussen's private penthouse flat, you on Sherlock's back walks softly along the carpeted hall towards where you can hear Magnussen talking quietly and sounding very anxious and almost tearful.

"What-what-what would your husband think, eh?" You heard inside the room. Sherlock and you continue on walking carefully towards a partially open door at the end of the hall. "He ... your lovely husband, upright, honourable ..." the both of you looks through the gap in the door and sees Magnussen on his knees with his hands behind his head and cowering. "... so English. What-what would he say to you now?"

As you look at the door gap, you see a woman standing in front of him, someone dressed all in black and wearing black gloves pulls back the pistol and silencer they are pointing at Magnussen and cocks the gun before pointing the business end at him again. He cowers, whimpering and momentarily lapsing into Danish. "Nej, nej! [No, no!]"

"Stay here.." Sherlock wisphered to you.

"what? no.."

"please? it's too dangerous.. let me in first.. if something happens to me, hide. okay?" he plead, you just nodded. "promise me.." you look at him in the eyes and noticed that he's serious.

You rolled your eyes, "fine.. just take care okay?"

Sherlock nodded and he slowly pushes the door open while you watch him silently.

"You're-you're doing this to protect him from the truth ... but is this protection he would want?" You heard Magnussen, tremulously.

Sherlock walk slowly to stand a few feet behind the person holding the gun, "Additionally, if you're going to commit murder, you might consider changing your perfume Lady Smallwood."

Magnussen straightens a little, breathing out a long shaky breath. "Sorry. Who?" Sherlock focuses on the back of the assassin. Magnussen's gaze goes from him to the face of his potential killer as the person adjusts their grip on the pistol. "That's ... not ... Lady Smallwood, Mr. Holmes." The person in black turns to face him, aiming the pistol at him, you focused to the person and it shocked you because it is Mary Elizabeth Watson.

You remembered the first time you deduced her at the front the kebab shop:

only child
linguist
Clever
part time nurse
Shortsighted
Guardian
Liar
Bakes
Own
Bread
Disillusioned
Cat Lover
Romantic
Appendix Scar
Lib
Dem
Secret Tattoo Size 12
Liar
Liar.. LIAR.

You snapped back in Magnussen's flat and the deductions fade, leaving many instances of only one word repeatedly drifting around her as she aims her gun towards Sherlock:

Liar

"Is John with you?" You heard her asked.

"He's, um ..." Sherlock said, shakly.

"Is John here?"

"He-he's downstairs."

She nods. You can't go inside, because she thought that it's only Sherlock and John came here. You can't risk going inside to stop her so you're just watching and standing outside.

John.

He can stop her. You came back to your senses and immediately run back downstairs to get John but then you heard a loud gun shot making you stop going to your track.

Your heart skipped a beat and you froze on your place, "Sh-Sherlock." You breathed. You run back to where they are and found Sherlock lying on the floor with a gun shot wound in his chest, almost unconscious. "Oh my God.." you breathed. You immediately dialed the Emergency for him, "Sherlock. Please, wake up. Stay with me, please." You said whilst kneeling beside him. You hold his cheek as your tears slowly escaping your eyes.

"(y/n)... do.. do--"

"No, shhh. Please, save your energy. Don't speak, just stay awake okay? Please. For me?"

"Don't c-cry.. I'm fine.."

"No, you're not. Stay awake okay?" He just nodded. Suddenly, John appeared on the doorway.

"Wh-what happened?" John asked worriedly, kneeling down beside you.

"He- he g-got shot."