CHAPTER 45

LATER

John opens the door of the living room at 221B and walks in, sighing quietly. Mary follows him more slowly up the stairs, with you who's half-carrying Sherlock with your left arm behind his back and his right arm wrapped around to your shoulder.

"John." Mrs. Hudson said sounding worried, then Mary walks through the door with you and Sherlock. "Mary!" Mrs. Hudson exclaimed. Mary gives her a small smile and walks towards the fireplace while John stands by the dining table with his hands on his hips. You and Sherlock hobbles to the doorway and stops there, "Oh, Sherlock! Oh, good gracious, you look terrible."

"Get me some morphine from your kitchen. I've run out." Sherlock said to Mrs. Hudson

"I don't have any morphine!"

"Then what exactly is the point of you?" Sherlock asked her angrily. You pat his chest, "Hey, Sherl. Calm down, let me talk to them, you should save your enery." You said, his face soften and think for a second and realises that your right so he nodded and you do the talking.

"What is going on?" Mrs. Hudson asked.

"Bloody good question." John replied.

"The Watsons are about to have a domestic, and fairly quickly, I hope, because we've got work to do." You said as you look at John.

"Oh, I have a better question." John paces towards Mary, looking angrily into her face. "Is everyone I've ever met a psychopath?"

"Yes." You and Sherlock said in unison, then Mary gives a tiny nod of agreement.

"Good that we've settled that. Anyway, we ..." you started to say but John turns toward you and cut you off, "SHUT UP! And stay shut up, because this is not funny. Not this time."

"We didn't say it was funny." You said then John turns his head to look at Mary. "You." He turns to face her. When he speaks, his voice and his face are full of barely-controlled anger and he frequently breathes heavily throughout his next words. "What have I ever done ... hmm? ... my whole life ... to deserve you?"

"Everything." you said, looking at John then Sherlock then back to John.

"(y/n), I've told you shut up." John said to you angrily.

"Oh, (y/n) mean it, seriously. Everything - everything you've ever done is what you did." Sherlock said.

"Sherlock, one more word and you will not need morphine."

"Sherlock, let me handle this." you said to him, softly. He nodded. "John, you were a doctor who went to war. You're a man who couldn't stay in the suburbs for more than a month without storming a crack den and beating up a junkie. Your best friends were sociopath who solves crimes as an alternative to getting high and an agent working with one of the most dangerous agency. That's us, by the way." You said, pointing Sherlock then yourself, "Hello." Then you points towards Mrs. Hudson. "Even the landlady used to run a drug cartel."

"It was my husband's cartel. I was just typing." Mrs. Hudson said.

You look at her, "And exotic dancing."

"(Your full name), if you've been YouTube-ing ..."

"John, you are addicted to a certain lifestyle. You're abnormally attracted to dangerous situations and people so is it truly such a surprise that the woman you've fallen in love with conforms to that pattern?" You asked John, interrupting Mrs. Hudson.

John grimaces briefly and then, with his eyes still fixed on you, he points towards his wife at the other side of the room. "But she wasn't supposed to be like that." He said, his voice full of suppressed tears then pointing again across the room, his voice a little stronger now, "Why is she like that?"