CHAPTER 63

Vivian looks down at her pistol which she’s no longer pointing at anyone. "I was never a field agent. I always thought I’d be rather good." She said making you and Mary scoff.

"Well, you handled the operation in Tbilisi very well." Sherlock said, sounding like a complement.

"Thanks." She said.

"... for a secretary." He added.

"What?"

"Can’t have been easy all those years, sitting in the back keeping your mouth shut when you knew you were cleverer than most of the people in the room."

"I didn’t do this out of jealousy!"

"No? Same old drudge, day in, day out, never getting out there where all the excitement was. Just back to your little flat on Wigmore Street." Sherlock said and Vivian gapes. "They’ve taken up the pavement outside the Post Office there. The local clay on your shoes is very distinctive. Yes, your little flat."

"How do you know?"

"Well, on your salary it would have to be modest and you spent all the money on that cottage, didn’t you, and what are you, widowed or divorced? Wedding ring’s at least thirty years old and you’ve moved it to another finger. That means you’re sentimentally attached to it but you’re not still married. I favour widowed, given the number of cats you share your life with."

Nervously watching Vivian closely, Mary called, "Sherlock ..."

"Two Burmese and a tortoiseshell, judging by the cat hairs on your cardigan."

"Sherlock, shut up." You said, sensing something.

"No." He said, then continue. "A divorcee’s more likely to look for a new partner; a widow to fill the void left by her dead husband."

You look at him angrily, "Sherlock, for once in your life shut up."

Voice rising as he gets fully into his stride, Sherlock didn't stop, "Pets do that, or so I’m told, and there’s clearly no-one new in your life, otherwise you wouldn’t be spending your Friday nights in an aquarium. That probably accounts for the drink problem, too: the slight tremor in your hand the red wine stain ghosting your top lip. Soyes. I say jealousy was your motive after all – to prove how good you are to make up for the inadequacies of your little life."

"Well, Mrs. Norbury. I must admit this is unexpected." A voice from your back said.

"Myc." You greeted, looking at him. He smiled and you return your gaze to Vivian.

"Vivian Norbury, who outsmarted them all. All except Sherlock Holmes." Sherlock said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. He takes a step forward, holding out his left hand. You and Mary also step forward. "There’s no way out."

"So it would seem." She smiles a little. "You’ve seen right through me, Mr. Holmes." Vivian said.

"It’s what I do."

She tilts her head to one side. "Maybe I can still surprise you." Swiftly she brings up the gun and aims it at Sherlock.

"Come on. Be sensible." Lestrade said.

Sherlock holds his hands out to the side. Vivian shakes her head. "No, I don’t think so."

Everything happened so fast, Vivian fires the gun that is still pointed at Sherlock. Without thinking twice, you hurls yourself sideways in front of him but Mary is faster than you and the bullet impacts her lower chest. Blood sprays outward and immediately there is a large bloodstain on her shirt. Crying out, she falls to the floor against a nearby bench.