CHAPTER 34

You're wandering around the place when you heard Sherlock's voice talking with a woman, "Never really comes up in crime work but, um, you know, I live in hope of the right case."

"I wish you weren't ...whatever it is you are." The woman said while you walk slowly towards the doorway.

"I know." Sherlock answered.

You look inside the room and sees Janine beside Sherlock, "Oh, hey. Didn't expect you'll got a girlfriend here Sherlock."

"Girlfriend? No, oh my. We're not- w-" Janine said, blushing but you interrupted her, "I'm just messing." you said and smile at her, a fake smile. You don't know why your blood boils everytime you see her and Sherlock are chatting.

"Well, glad to see you've pulled, Sherlock, (y/n), what with murderers running riot at my wedding." John said who's suddenly appeared from doorway as he claps his hand on Sherlock's back.

"One murder... - one nearly murderer." Sherlock said, then he turns to Janine, "Loves to exaggerate. You should try living with him."

The entrance door opens and Greg comes in. "(y/n)?" He points back out the door. "Got him for you."

You clap your hands together as the wedding photographer walks in, "Ah, the photographer. Excellent! Thank you." you thank Lestrade. You walk over to the photographer and points at the camera he's holding. "Er, may I have a look at your camera?"

"Er ..." he pulls his camera back nervously but then holds it out to you, "... what's this about? I was halfway home!"

"You should have driven faster." Sherlock said while you took the camera and look at the screen and starts flicking through the pictures.

"Ah, yes. Yes, very good. There, you see? Perfect." You said and smiles.

"What is? You gonna tell us?"

You hand the camera to Lestrade, "Try looking yourself."

"Um, look for what?" John asked looking to the camera. Janine also walks over.

Sherlock strolls closer to the photographer.

"Is the murderer in these photographs?" John said pointing the camera.

"It's not what's in the photographs; it's what's not in them - not in any of them." Sherlock answered.

"Sherlock? (y/n)? The showing-off thing: we've discussed it before." John said.

Rolling your eyes, you began explaining, "There is always a man at a wedding who is not in any photograph but can go anywhere, and even carry an equipment bag around with him if he likes, and you never even see his face." you said.

Sherlock walks closer to the photographer and looks down towards his hand. "You only ever see ..." Sherlock rapidly slaps one cuff of a pair of handcuffs around the photographer's wrist and the other cuff around the frame of a nearby birdcage luggage trolley, "... the camera."

"What are you doing? What is this?" the photographer asked.

Holding up his phone to show the screen to the others, "Jonathan Small, today's substitute wedding photographer - known to us as the Mayfly Man. His brother was one of the raw recruits killed in that incursion. Jonny sought revenge on Sholto, worked his way through Sholto's staff, found what he needed an invitation to a wedding - the one time Sholto would have to be out in public. So, he made his plan and rehearsed the murder making sure of every last detail. Brilliant, ruthless, almost certainly a monomaniac - though, in fairness, his photographsare actually quite good." Sherlock explained as he handed his phone to Lestrade, "Everything you need's on that. You probably ought to ... arrest him or something."

Mary comes into the room, apparently looking for John. "Come on, quick!" She reaches his side and John puts his arm around her. Sherlock takes his hands from behind his back and crooks one arm to Janine. She takes it and they walk away without a word. John and Mary follow them leaving you with Lestrade and Small who is looking at you fixedly "It's not me you should be arresting, Ms. (last name)."

"Oh, I don't do the arresting." you said and nod towards Lestrade. "I just farm that out."

"Sholto - he's the killer, not me. I should have killed him quicker." He grins manically, then his smile fades and he shakes his head. "I shouldn't have tried to be clever."

"You should have driven faster." You said softly. And without waiting for his reply you walk out of the room.

Later. In the reception room, the tables have been cleared away. Looking into each other's eyes, Mary and John are dancing a slow waltz in the middle of the room to the sound of a single violin while all the guests stand around the edge of the room and watch them. On a low stage at the end of the room Sherlock is playing his violin. As the tune draws to an end, John shifts one hand to Mary's back, holds her by the waist with the other and starts to dip her backwards. Chuckling, he bends her backwards as she giggles. He kisses her as the tune ends. You and the guests break into applause and some of them cheer. You heard Janine whoops at Sherlock while you walk into the stage to give a small speech for the newlyweds.

You reach the stage and steps to the nearby microphone. "Ladies and gentlemen, just, er, one last thing before the evening begins properly. I am the kind of person who's not into talking with a crowd but for John, I will. And of course, apologies for earlier. A crisis arose and was dealt with. More importantly, however, today we saw two people make vows. I've only made a vow once in my life, and after tonight I never will again. So, here in front of you all, this may not be my first but this will be my last vow and I speak for Sherlock too, Mary and John: whatever it takes, whatever happens, from now on, me and Sherlock swear we will always be there, always, for all three of you. Er, I'm sorry, I mean, I mean two of you. All two of you. Both of you, in fact. I've just miscounted. Anyway, it's time for dancing." you look over your shoulder to the DJ on the stage, "Play the music again, please, thank you." Then the Disco lights begin to flash and you gestures grandly to the guests as Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons' song "December, 1963 (Oh What A Night)"starts to play. "Okay, everybody, just dance. Don't be shy!"

"You noticed too?" Sherlock asked you.

"Yes... change of taste perception... and she was sick this morning. She assumed it was just wedding nerves. She got angry with me when I mentioned it to her. All the signs are there. The sign of three. Go and tell them. I- I need to refresh a little bit." you said and walks down off the stage.

The truth is, you went where your coat and scarf were located. You know that you're not into party's and you'll probably be alone because obviously John and Mary will spend the night together and also Sherlock and Janine as you thought. You don't have any company to keep you stay there so you walk in the garden outside the reception room, while the revellers dance on. You light up your cigarette and smoke while you walk away from the venue.