Chapter 10

Today is the day that I get to see everyone. I haven't been able to talk to them since the accident. Theo said I was too injured for any visitors, that and I was so high on the pain medicine I don't think he wanted me to embarrass him in front of others. It's only been two days since the incident. Everyday Theo has been helping me clean my wounds since I cannot reach them, and he hasn't really left my side.

Everyone will be here any minute before we head to Guinevere's funeral. Apparently they have a private cemetery here for cases like this. They can't exactly bury her back home. I fiddle with the hem of my plain black dress as I wait in the living room of the new apartment. It's a lot smaller than the other, but it looks about the same. Theo sits next to me and hands me a hat with a short black veil that would cover my eyes.

"People around here are a little old fashioned." He also hands me a black lace umbrella. It must be for show because it sure wouldn't keep the rain off of me. Theo was dressed in and all black suit, even his undershirt and tie was black. I turn away from him when someone knocks on the door. Theo gets up to open it and I stand. When I move to stand next to Theo I find Peter, Ian, Xavier, and Valentina. She looked almost the same but her skin was much paler and her eyes were now red.

"Ready?" Ian asks. We head out a back entrance of the building and down a nicely paved path. It was beautiful the way the trees hung over the path. I glance at Valentina who had her umbrella open. I do the same. I didn't think she looked much different but the way she moves is defiantly new. She almost seems to be gliding along the path. Her black dress flowed down to her ankles and was much fancier than mine. She had out a black handkerchief and was dabbing her eyes.

The trees opened up into a large field that was surrounded by a wrought iron gate. I could see other people gathered a few yards away. The mass of black stood out against the clear blue sky. I freeze. I suddenly felt like I was an intruder. All these people must have known Guinevere for so long. I've only known her for a few months. If she hadn't met me she might still be alive. How can I stand there when I'm the one who killed her. Theo places his hand on the small of my back and gently tries to push me forward. The others had already arrived and disappeared into the sea of black.

"I- I can't." I try to back away but he holds me in place.

"Why not? She was your friend."

"I killed her." Theo moves around and pulls me to him.

"If it's anyone's fault it's mine....now come on or it will start without us." He pulls away, and pulls my veil down over my face. My world around me is tinted black as he leads me forward. We take some seats in the back since we were too late to sit any closer. I don't think I could sit any closer. The guilt is weighing me down.

---

I avoid going to the gathering when the funeral is over. I fiddle with the rose in my hand as I stand in front of her head stone. The woman who had barged into the apartment was close by talking to a couple. 'A dear friend' is what the stone said. 1990-2012. She was so young. I fall to my knees and stare at the neat pile of flowers already in her grave.

"I'm so sorry....this is all my fault." I gently place the rose on top of the others. I wipe my eyes as Theo leans down and places his own rose next to mine.

"It was so nice of you to come." I can't even look up at her. Does she know that I'm the reason she's dead?

"Of course." Theo says and I can see them hug out of the corner of my eye. I grab a fist full of grass as I try to keep myself from crying again. I want to apologize to her, to tell her it's my fault, but I'm afraid she would hate me if I did.

"You must be Arabella." I don't want to be rude, but I can't bring myself to look at her so I just nod my head. "She spoke of you. She was very happy to have another girl around." I finally stand and turn to her. I'm thankful that the veil covers most of my face.