Chapter 45

ARABELLA

The cool tile feels good on my hot face. I haven't felt like this since I was human. I can't forget what I've done. He only asked me to freeze time but I should have known they would use it for evil. Ever since I used my power I've been feverish. I can't hardly move and my whole body aches. What would my friends think if they knew what I did? Were they there? My heart jumps in my throat. What if I killed them?

What would Theo have thought? I shiver. He never would have given in. I've suffered so much more than this and I can't even endure a little psychological torture. His dead eyes pop in my head. If Xavier were here he'd scold me for giving in so quickly. He never liked me and Theo together anyway. He'd make me push through this just like with my parents. But how can I?

THEO

It just doesn't make any sense. She wouldn't just help them like that. I can't stop myself from pacing around the room. She's strong and brave. One of the braves vampires I've seen in a long time. What could they have done to her? I slam my fist onto the desk. The wood gives way and splits in half. I don't stop there but tear apart the whole room. I've let her down. They never should have gotten her. I never should have agreed to this plan of hers. I keep replaying it over and over in my head. I know even I couldn't have fought off so many hunters at once, but I can't help but feel there must have been something I could have done. I stop in the middle of breaking the desk chair when Joey enters the room. His eyes scan the room before they land on me.

"We've found another hideout. It doesn't look like she's there either. It's too obvious and they aren't even trying to hide."

"She would never help them." He sighs.

"She is helping them." I growl snapping the chair in my hand. "We need to figure out why. I'm on your side in this. She would risk her life to save ours not help them end it." I relax a little.

"They must have others with powers. Maybe she's trying to protect them." I'm already shaking my head. "She's smart enough to know that she loses either way in that scenario. She'd let them die to protect more people." At least that's what I'd do.

"I don't know. She looked...lost. Like she'd given up. The way they were dragging her around. She was weak but she wasn't even trying to support herself." What would make her give up like that? Does she think they'll win?

"This doesn't make sense." He nods in agreement. We're missing something.

"There's one other thing. Vlad is stopping all advances on the hunters. It's too much of a risk with her. A lot of older vampires died last time." I want to be angry but I know it's the right thing to do. Alexander walks into the room.

"You said you saw her before being surrounded by the hunters. Odds are she saw you too...maybe...maybe she thinks your dead. They've had her for awhile. Maybe they convinced her." He says folding his arms in front of him and leaning in the doorway.

"She still wouldn't turn on everyone. Besides it's impossible to lie about your mate dying. I've seen what happens to the one left alive. They're miserable. They get sick and if they can't get passed it they die too. It's not something that can be faked. Vampires can't get sick any other way."

"But she doesn't know that." Joey says. " We never told her about any of this." I toss what's left of the chair across the room. If we'd told her she would know without a doubt that I'm not dead. I wasn't hiding it from her I just thought it would never matter.

"That still doesn't explain why she helped them." Alexander states. Arabella what have they done to you?

ARABELLA