Chapter 39

ARABELLA

I watch at Theo breaks my phone and throws it in the trash before doing the same with his own. He's been quiet since we left. I want to reassure him in some way, but if we're on the run I don't know if I can. The first thing we do is rent a car under false names. It surprises me that Theo has fake IDs for the both of us. How long has he been preparing for this? I was just worrying about the wedding and he had to worry about something so much bigger. I wish he would have told me.

The car is a simple black sedan meant to blend in with the other cars on the road. It looks new on the inside but it smells like someone left their fast food bags in here too long. I wrinkle my nose and crack the window. I wonder if humans can smell this.

"Where are we going?" I ask. We've been driving for hours and he hasn't stopped once. Since we broke our phones we have no way of knowing what the council decided. I have even less faith in them than Theo. I'm not sure what they're willing to do to obtain peace. I feel guilty for leaving the others like me behind. I know we can't protect any of them, but we should have at least warned them. If those vampire hunters had their way they'd kill every one of them. Theo adjusts the rear view mirror for the tenth time and glances behind us. "What's wrong?"

"We're being followed. Their windows are tinted too much to see who they are." I try to glance behind us discretely. Theo takes some turns and the car follows. They're not very smart if they don't want us to know they're following us. They should drive farther behind us to make it less obvious. Theo pulls to the side of the road.

"What are you doing?" We have no idea who's in that car. It could be full of vampire hunters for all we know.

"I can't let them follow us to our destination." He steps out of the car quickly as the other car pulls to a stop a little ways behind us. I follow him out. "Don't leave the car."

"I'm not going to let you fight alone." He sighs. We both turn our attention to the other car as the doors opens on both sides.

"Couldn't let the two of you run off on your own." Joey says with a smile. I relax when I see the other person is Alexander. Theo doesn't look nearly as relieved as I do.

"Shouldn't you guys be at that meeting?"

"We ditched when we realized they were actually considering their demands. We were going to warn you, but by the time we got to your room you were already gone." I wonder how they managed to follow us then. "Would've called, but I figured you already ditched your phone."

"Just get in. We've been standing here too long." The two of them climb into the back and we're off again. A couple more hours of driving and we stop at an airport. I wonder why he chose this one. There were plenty closer to where we were living, and I know we passed some on the way here. "Alright, where would you like to go?" Theo asks turning to me.

"Me?"

"There's the list of planes that's leaving within the hour." I look down at the list. I wonder if farther away is better or if they'll expect us to leave the country. There are a few within the states, but it's too easy to get caught here. I can't think about this too much. If I choose somewhere I want to go it might be easier for them to find us. I close my eyes and point to a random plane.

"I'll go see if they have any tickets available." Joey says. I'm too scared to look. What if it's some place cold? I guess that wouldn't be too bad since I'm a vampire now. "Ireland it is." Joey says holding up our tickets.

The flight is long, but quiet. Joey booked us tickets in first class. It works out since there's no one else up here but us. I'm still baffled as to where all their money comes from. They've been alive a long time, but I've never seen them work. I haven't even had the time to get a job.