Chapter 29

THEO

I can smell her. The smell of her blood is everywhere. The neon sign of the convenience store buzzes loudly filling the otherwise silent streets. I turn down the ally next to the store. My hand traces the smudges of her blood on the wall. She's known nothing but pain since she met me.

"It's hard to tell where she went after this. " Alexander says after looking over the rest of the ally. It seems she got into another car and by the looks of this it was not willingly.

"Damn it!" I turn and punch the wall. It's like he's keeping her just out of reach. What would drive her to him?

"The blood doesn't seem to be more than a few hours old." Vlad says. We all turn at the sound of footsteps moving towards the ally. A guy, a human stops at the entrance. He shoves his hands in his pocket and looks us over.

"You the boyfriend?" I take a step forward and his attention turns to me. When I don't say anything he continues. "Bella, she-" I'm next to him within seconds, pinning him to the wall. Vlad and Alexander appear at my side ready to pull me off of him if I go to far.

"Theo just hear him out." Alex says.

"Did he send you here? Do you work for him?" He shakes his head and points at my hands around his neck. I hadn't realized I was choking him. I release him and take a step back. I need to get it together. This isn't me.

"I don't know who he is, but she was traveling with us when this guy was...feeding on my friend." He says it as if he still cannot believe what he saw. I clench my fists at my side to refrain from strangling the rest of the information out of him. I always hated working with humans. "He told me to leave and I found myself just walking. When I snapped out of it I rushed back to find them shoving her into a car...she didn't look good. I don't know if she was alive..."

"She is." I say refusing to believe anything else. He wouldn't kill her. At least not yet. He wants to see what she can do.

"She had so many arrows..."

"She's alive. Where did they go?" He snaps out of his trance.

"I was able to follow them, I can show you."

"Then let's go. There's no time to waste." It's about time I caught up to her. "How did you know I would be here?" I ask as we jump into his car. Vlad pushes him in the back and takes the drivers seat.

"I figured if were a good guy you'd show up."

"Is that disappointment I hear?" Alex asks giving him a lopsided smile.

ARABELLA

"You will do what I ask." He moves to Peter holding a knife to his throat. "I'm loosing my patience." My mind flashes back to Guin. I can't let that happen to another one of my friends. The silvered hair vampire pulls out another arrow roughly and I turn my glare to him.

"Let's make a deal." I say. I can't just do as he asks without anything in return. "If I show you what I know then you let one of my friends go. He sneers at me and puts more pressure on the knife.

"You aren't in a position to bargain." True but what happens next? I don't cooperate and he kills them, or I do and he kills them anyway. I watched him kill his partner just because he didn't want any one to know what I could do. What will keep him from just killing my friends?

"How do I know you just won't kill them anyway. Let one of them go." He sighs loudly and points his knife at Valentina. The two vampires drag her unconscious body out of the room

"I only need three. Now show me what you know." I wish there was a way to know whether he really let her go or not. I don't think asking is the best thing to do. The original plan was to freeze time and help them all escape but he's been smart enough not to have them all in the same room. Ian and Xavier are somewhere else and I cannot freeze time long enough to search for them. I've got no choice but to show him. It doesn't take long and as soon as it's done I pull the knife out of his hand before waking him up. As he takes in what just happened I pull the rest of the arrows out.

"That's all I know." I say deciding to leave out the fact that if he touched me he might know all my thoughts and emotions. He doesn't need to know that. I need to be able to plan escape without worrying that he'll find out.

"That's it. You've had how long and that's all you've come up with." I glare at him.

"I'm kinda the first to do this so excuse me if I'm learning a little slow." His hand whips out across my face and time unfreezes.

"Very well. Bring them in!" He shouts and a line of about twenty vampires walk into the room. "Let's see who's immune to your little parlor trick, shall we?" He lets Peter's limp body fall to the floor and focuses his attention on the others. "Again." I shoot him a glare, but do it anyway. How am I going to get out of this?

"Again!" He shouts. I crumple to the ground onto my hands and knees. He's been making me do this for hours and I don't know if I can keep it up much longer. He's already found two people that aren't affected by my ability. Isn't that enough. "I suggest you do it again or do you need more motivation." He slams his foot into my back and picks Peter up my his hair.

"Alright!" I sit up and concentrate hard on trying to freeze time. I manages to do it for a couple seconds, but it's no use I'm too tired. I slump to the ground hardly able to keep my eyes open. I know he's shouting at me but I can't quite make out what he's saying.

* * * *

My eyes flutter open. For a moment I think I'm back at the safe house with Theo. Why am I in a cot? I'm so used to being chained up on the floor. Now that I think about it I'm not chained up either. I guess with my friends life in danger he doesn't think I'd try anything.

"Go inform him that she's awake." I look up and see a face in the slit of the door. He shuts the metal slit and I don't have to wait long for the door to open. There he is the guy with no name. The guy that's the root of all my problems. He leads me out of the small room and down a long hall way filled with doors like mine. I wonder if my friends are behind one of these doors. I need to try to come up with some kind of plan.

He could have anything in mind for me and after seeing how many vampires he has here there's no telling what he can make me do. Just as that thought enters my mind we enter a large room. It looks almost as like a stadium with a flat empty center and bleachers all around.

"What the hell is this?" I ask as I see some vampires walking in and filling the bleachers. He smiles at me.

"They will pay good money to see this. Now that I have vampires with abilities they are even more eager to see what they can do." I shoot him a look of disgust. He turns to the right and leads me down a tunnel. He stops abruptly and tosses me in a room. "Don't die. I'm rooting for you."

"So what can you do?" I turn to see a blonde vampire walking towards me. Her clothes are dirty and torn but she doesn't seem to mind.

"Don't tell her." The girl groans.

"Why do you have to ruin all the fun." I look around the dimly lit room. There's a lot more vampires in here than I thought. Most of them are leaning against he wall in the dark. What the hell is this place. He said don't die. Did he leave me in a pit of lions?

"What's going on?" I ask hoping someone is nice enough to fill me in. A guy with light brown hair steps forward, a huge white scar running the length of his face. I can't help but reach up and touch my own.

"It's a battle to the death. Whoever you go out there with you have to kill them before they kill you." What was the point in bringing me here if he's just gonna put me in some kind of death arena?