Chapter 48

THEO

Something only we know. I could just say something to her about the time we spent being tortured. She didn't talk much about it as far as I know, but I feel like it's not enough. Anyone could have read our file and found out. Why is this so hard? We're bound together. I got into a heated discussion with Peter about what she told them. She shouldn't have been able to believe I was dead because of our bond. The hunters must have done something to her to make her feel it. I'm starting to like this less and less. They're up to something and it's big.

I look up as Joey comes into the room with another cup. She glares at him. Since they've been forcing her to eat she's only become stronger, making it harder for them to do this.

"Why can't you guys just leave me alone?" They already had to chain her to the bed when she tried to run away so they wouldn't keep feeding her.

"We just need a little time." A light goes off in my head.

"Joey I've got it, just give me a couple days." He looks at me skeptically before nodding.

ARABELLA

"Look there's something we need to show you but it's gonna take some time. Please just let us help you." I turn away from Joey. I knew I never should have come here. I shouldn't have called the others. I should have just let myself die somewhere.

"This is very similar to what they did to me." I whisper. I hear him set the glass down before leaving the room.

I stare out the window and sigh. Part of me wants to try and Valentina has been giving me crap about giving up completely because of a guy. But Theo was my first love. He was a vampire, he was supposed to be here for so much longer. If I was human I could do this, but living for eternity without him. I can't even imagine.
---

"I told you I don't want to." This is the millionth time Xavier has tried to get me out of my room.

"I'm so tired of this. Where is the girl who decided to fight when her parents died." I flinch at the tone of his voice. He isn't the only one who's mad at me.

"Maybe with time, Xavier, but all everyone has tried to do is get me to move on. Maybe if it's been a year I would understand. None of you care enough to give me time to grieve."

"Your version of grieving is killing yourself, so of course we're not giving you time." He sighs and sits on the bed. "We all care about you. I don't know Theo well, but I'm sure he wouldn't want you to do this." Before I can answer him Joey and Alexander walk in.

"Could you give us a minute?" He gives me one last look before leaving and closing the door behind him. I don't know how I feel about the two of them here together. Joey holds out a present to me.

"What's this?" I ask taking is cautiously. They're up to something.

"Just hear us out okay?" Alexander says. "We aren't playing a joke on you. We all see him, but you can't. The hunters must have done something to you and-" I put the present down and turn away from them.

"That's enough, okay. I'm tired, I just want to be left alone."

"Just open it okay?" Joey says as they leave the room. I glare at the perfectly wrapped present.

THEO

Please open it. I've done everything I can to get her to open it but whenever I try to touch something around her my hands go right through it. She glances at it again before sighing. She picks it up and unwraps it. She freezes when she opens the box inside. She moves so fast I almost lose her. She marches right up to Joey and points the pan at him.

"Where did you get this?" His eyebrows knit together. I didn't let anyone see what was inside so I could be sure she knew it was from me.

"Get what?"

"That's my present." I say. He gives me an 'are you serious look?'

"The pan, where did you get it?" Joey moves beside her and tries to pull her away from everyone. Nobody has moved because this is the first time any of them have seen her leave her room.

"Let's go somewhere more private."

"No! How did you get this." Her hands start to shake so she lowers the pan

"Theo got it. He's trying to tell you that he's here. Now will you please come with me?" She hesitates before following him into one of the meeting rooms. He gestures for her to sit down before turning to me. "Well care to explain?"

"When I first met Arabella her parents were killed by a vampire. He was still there when she came home and he tore the house apart looking for her. I got there just in time, but she didn't trust me. She grabbed the first thing she could find to protect herself and it was that pan." Joey repeats this to her. She's crying before he finishes. For a moment I forget I can't touch her and put my hand around her. When it goes through her she shivers.

"Can you hear me?" I ask but she doesn't respond.

"How do I know he didn't tell you that before." He sits next to her.

"Bella we're your friends. I don't know why you think we're trying to hurt you. We're only trying to help."

"So you're saying he's here?" She looks around the room for me. "Why?"

"Tell her I knew she was special from the moment I met her. A part of me couldn't stand to let her go even when I knew it was safe for her to leave. It took awhile for me to admit it but I think I always knew I loved her."

"Why can't I see him?" She sobs and Joey pulls her into a hug.

"Just like the hunters are using you for your powers we think they're using others." I stand behind Joey wishing I could hug her. "If we can find who did this to you we can stop this." She pulls away and wipes the tears from her eyes. They go wide when they land on me. Is she looking at me? She jumps up from her seat and tries to give me a hug but she goes right through me almost falling to the floor.

"Theo?" I can't help but smile. She can't touch me but at least she can see me.