Chapter 26

ARABELLA

There it is. I creep forward. A twig snaps behind me and the deer hops away. Darn it, I'm so hungry. I think as I turn to see who scared away my lunch. Oh, it's Theo. He's leaning against a tree, but he's not looking at me. I haven't talked all that much to him since I showed him what happened. I can tell he's been wrapped up in guilt, but I've been too afraid to touch him because I can't stop thinking about that day. I don't need to keep making him keep relive it. I've been practicing with Joey but so far I've had no luck with hiding my thoughts and feelings. This newfound power is turning out to be a pain in the ass.

"Hey." He says walking up to me. He gives me a weak smile. He reaches to take my hand but I back away. 

"You scared away my lunch." I say trying to cover up my actions. I don't want him to get the wrong impression.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in forever. So much has changed..." He says studying me. I wonder if he's talking about Rebecca? He reaches out and pulls me to him. I'm captivated by his eyes and for a moment I feel as if I can't breathe. All vampires eyes are red but they aren't the same. Looking into Theo's never fails to comfort me. A smile spreads across his face as he leans down to nuzzle my neck. I wrap my arms around him. I have missed him. A lot more than I realized. "I kinda like knowing what you're thinking." He says.

"I don't." I say. I need to learn to control this. I don't need people listening to my inner most thoughts, but Joey has no idea what he's talking about. I don't think he'll be able help me. Oh well. I guess it's just another thing I'll have to figure out on my own. It's bad enough I didn't get the name of their leader. What good is what they look like if you can't look them up.

"Arabella." He pulls away but doesn't let me go. Oh crap I forgot. I try to pull away from him but he won't let me go. "Please don't hide from me. Maybe I could help you instead of Joey. You've been spending so much time with him I feel like I hardly see you." I guess that gives him more time to spend with her. She's been nothing but rude to me since I got here. Doesn't that prove there's something there? Theo's face changes to one of surprise and he releases me.

"I'm hungry. I'm going to hunt." I can't look at him. I'm embarrassed that he heard that. I don't need him to know about my petty jealousy.

"Is that what you think?" He asks.

"No." I say.

"There's nothing between Rebecca and I we're-" I hold up my hand.

"There's no need to explain yourself. We were apart for a long ti-" Theo pulls me back into a kiss. I run my hand through his hair as he pushes me back into a tree. I thought that I would never be able to kiss him again. When we were apart I couldn't bring myself to think about him, to imagine what it would be like to kiss him again. Nothing I could have imagined could have compared to this. He smiles and gently pulls my shirt over my head. His eyes rove over my body and stop on the scar that's still there. He runs his hand over it and I shiver remembering what it felt like to get it.

"I'm sorry." He says. Resting his head on my shoulder. There I go again making him feel bad. I gently lift his head to make him look at me and gently kiss him. Let's just finish what we started I think taking his shirt off.

---

I yawn and stretch out. Did I fall asleep? I glance behind me to see Theo sleeping as well. It's dark outside now and I sit up making Theo stir next to me. He looks so cute when he's asleep. I'd give anything to just lay with him forever. If only all this stuff wasn't happening. Maybe I could spend the whole day here. I sigh standing and putting my clothes back on and lean down to wake up Theo.