Chapter 32

ARABELLA

I can't hardly look at the others. Peter decided to go first and they chose to do them in week intervals since having so many new vampires it too troublesome. I turn away from Peter as Rebecca leans over him. I can't watch this. I head straight out the doors and run. I don't think I can stand to hear his screams. When I'm sure I'm far enough away I stop. If I run away will they still feel the need to change? I hear someone coming so I climb up the nearest tree and sit pretty high up. I'm not sure I want to be bothered. I'm not surprised when I see Theo. He looks up and his eyes meet mine. I'm surprised he found me so easily. He scales the tree with ease and sits next to me.

"How did it come to this?" I say when he doesn't say anything. "Maybe if it was a different time I wouldn't be taking this so hard. I've never had a lot of friends, but when I met them...I don't want to see them die." He wraps an arm around me pulling me closer to him. I rest my head on his shoulder. I keep thinking they're going to die like Guinevere.

"This is better for them. They've become a target and I can't have you running off alone to save them every time." I just need something to take my mind off of all this. Most days we just sit around and make plans while we look for him. There's nothing else to think about. Theo turns my head to face him and places gentle kisses on the corner of my mouth. It feels like forever when his lips finally meet mine. My whole body responds to his kiss, pulling him closer to me. I pull away and smile at him, but it's not his eyes I'm looking into it's mine. Confusion is written all over my face when I say, "Bella, what is this?" The words come out of my mouth but I'm not the one in my body anymore. I sit up and look down at my- Theo's body. Oh my gosh. Did we just swap bodies?

"Maybe if we repeat what we were doing?" Just before it happened all I was thinking about was pulling Theo closer to me. Maybe that's what made us switch. I awkwardly pull myself towards me. I can't say I ever wanted to know what it was like to kiss myself, but once we start kissing it's still as if I'm kissing Theo. He pulls me closer to him and my body ignites. I jump away from him at sudden movement in my pants. Oh my god!

"What?" He says still in my body breathing heavily. I can't look at him so instead I climb out of the tree. There's got to be another way to switch back. This is just too weird. He follows me down. Rebecca and Peter appear in front of us. My face falls when I see his red eyes. He gives me a smile.

"Check it out." I open my mouth to speak, but close it remembering I'm in Theo's body. Out of the corner of my eye I see Xavier, Ian, and Gavin finally catching up with Peter. Fantastic. I don't want them to know we've switched bodies. I lean against the tree to support myself. I feel so tired. Theo's by my side.

"Are you okay?" I just nod and slump to the ground and the world around goes black.

---

"It's not that far of a stretch if you think about it. She can literally show us her memories, her emotions." I hear Joey say. "Maybe you just got too close." I can hear the smile in his voice. I open my eyes and sit up. I immediately look down at myself relaxing. I'm back. Theo sits on the cot next to me.

"Don't do that ever again." He states. Sorry but I don't think I'll be able to control it. I can't even control who can read my thoughts yet. I haven't been able to continue with that because my friends were captured. I think it's time I start trying again.

"I'll try not to...Do you have some spare time. I want to try to control my powers again." He looks at Joey. No, he can't leave. I feel like I just got him back.

"We've gotten a lead. I'm going to check it out." I frown. I can tell from his face that he's leaving soon. He gives me a kiss before making his way the door. "I love you." He says before walking out the door. I don't like that he's leaving. I feel like everyone close to me has a huge target on their back.

"He'll be fine." Joey says. "I'll practice with you." I sigh taking his hand. He just has so come back safely. This is a good thing. The sooner we find him the sooner we can go back to our normal lives, but no matter what nothing will ever be the same as it was before all this.

ARABELLA

I've gotten better at controlling this. My thoughts are now my own like they should be. Joey is still insisting that I practice, though. I took him up on that assuming he would be the person I was going to be practicing with. I look at Xavier through the doorway. I haven't really talked to any of them since they changed. I turn away and head to the room where the others usually make our plans. When I open the door they're all running around grabbing papers and trying to talk over one another. I walk over to the table and see a map lying open. Several places have been circled and crossed out. All except one.

Vlad comes to stand next to me frowning down at the map. He holds up his hand and slowly the others go silent. They crowd around the tables. "Theo's party is already scouting the area. We need to move fast if we want to catch them before they move again. Gather your teams and meet here." Vlad says pointing to a spot a little ways away from the circle. With that the room clears only leaving the few people I know.

"You ready?" Alexander asks. I've been ready for a while now. I owe this guy some payback for all the things he's done to me and my friends. I nod and look back down at the map. "We've already told the others the plan. Listen carefully." Joey says moving to stand next to me and Vlad.

---

I don't see Theo when we get there. Everything is quiet and I can just make out vampires patrolling the area a couple miles ahead of us. They explained what I needed to do and it all seems too simple. I've not only been practicing keeping my thoughts to myself but also freezing time. It's not perfect, but they believe it's enough. If we can. I've got my part and if that works out I think we'll have the element of surprise on our side. I jump as someone wraps their arms around me.

"I was wondering where you were." I say as Theo pulls away. He was the last person we were waiting for in our group.

"You ready?" No but if this can finally end all of this then I'm going to do this whether I'm ready or not. I nod and Alexander, Vlad, and Rebecca follow behind me. "If you start to get tired we can try something else." Theo says. I know that but everyone's counting on me for this part. We move forward quickly and when I'm close enough I freeze the few guards in front of us. Alexander and Theo kill them while Vlad and Rebecca take the bodies and hide them. This is the idea to take out all the guards, but I'm not sure this will go unnoticed.

We take out the rest of the guards on this side and Vlad lets the others waiting that the north side is clear. The rest of the guards have to be taken out quicker now. I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding when we clear the east side. Theo gives me a reassuring smile as we start to clear the south side. I glance at the main building. It's so big I'm surprised no one on the inside has noticed any of this. This is all just too easy.

"What is it?" Theo asks as Vlad scoops up another body.

"This just doesn't feel right." He frowns.

"I was thinking the same thing." Just as he says this a bullet flies by embedding itself in his shoulder. He hardly flinches and his eyes move in the direction the bullet came from. "Take cover!" We head for the tree line as a spray of bullets fly around us. I knew they had to notice something. When the bullets stop I can hear a commotion starting. Looks like this is it. We were hoping to get inside first.

"Remember the main objective is to kill the boss. If he's gone the others might scatter." Vlad says walking into the battle. Rebecca and Alexander give us a nod before heading in. Theo plants a kiss on my lips before holding me at arms length so he can look me over.

"Stay close." I follow him out. It doesn't take us long to get inside. The others are keeping them away from us so our trip inside is fairly smooth. When the door closes behind us the noise outside is muffled so much I can hardly hear them. Compared to how many of them were outside it feels empty in here. We sneak through the hallway, but there's no sign of anyone. It's going to be nearly impossible to find him in such a big place. Maybe we should have questioned someone?

There's not many ways to go except straight. Despite being a big building all the doors on the side look like bedrooms with no one in them. We keep going until we come across a set of stairs that lead downwards. Do all evil vampires have to live underground? I shiver as we start our decent.