Chapter 44

ARABELLA

I finish my first cup and I'm surprised when he gives me another. He's been very careful to make sure I'm incapacitated. I don't know how long it's been but considering I can live forever I have a feeling this is nothing. What's a couple of months in those terms? I've accepted my fate awhile ago. When I finish the second cup I can feel my strength coming back. Not enough to do much. The guy with the black eyes smiles down at me. I've grown so used to them and he's the only person I've seen here since I arrived. He props up my pillows and helps me sit up before sitting on the bed next to me.

"How are you feeling?" I scoff. I don't know why he's even bothering to ask. I know he can feel it every time he touches me. I'm too weak to stop him even if I wanted to.

"You already know, so why ask?" My voice is so scratchy I don't recognize it. It's also the longest sentence I've spoken in awhile.

"I thought you might want to tell me yourself?" He sighs when I don't answer. "I'm Adrian."

"I don't know what you're trying to do, but just leave me alone. Stop feeding me and taking care of me." He puts his hand under my chin and makes me look at him. I might be crazy but there's something there in his eyes.

"How can I when I find you fascinating. Besides I can make you do whatever I want." Sure he can. What does he expect to get from me when they already took away the person I love the most. Suddenly I'm hanging from the ceiling again and he tosses Theo at my feet. I try to get away, but it's no use.

"No, no, no. Please stop." Theo's dead eyes are staring at me again. I'll forever only be able to see those dead eyes. I don't even remember what he looked like when he was alive.

"Will you do as I ask?" I nod.

"Yes, just please make it stop." It's gone just as fast as it had appeared and I'm back in my bed. He smiles making me look at him again.

"Now that we're clear. I need you to do something for me."

THEO

We search the whole building and she's not here. There were hunters here though. It was a pain but they're all dead now. I will kill as many as I have to, to get her back. I look for any sign that she might have been here but there's none. Where have they taken her. I look up when I hear shouting from outside the building before everything goes silent. I peek out and find everyone frozen in place except those closest to me. Alexander shoots me a weary look. Only one person could do this, but why is she using it on us?

I look around for her and my heart sinks into my stomach when I find her. She's so thin I can see the outline of her bones. She's so weak two hunters have to hold her up. I take a step towards her, but Joey grabs my arm. How could I have let this happen to her?

"If you walk within her range you'll be frozen too." He says not letting me go. We watch helplessly as the hunters slaughter the frozen vampires. She was only able to keep time frozen for a couple minutes but it felt like an eternity. There's got to be some way I can get her attention, but the noise is so loud she wouldn't hear me if I shouted. As soon as she unfreezes everything I move towards her, but when I blink all the hunters are gone.

"What the hell was that?" Rebecca says angrily marching up to us. "I was frozen, but completely aware of everything! I knew we couldn't trust her!" I growl.

"She wouldn't help them." I say and she scoffs.

"What do you call that then? Open your eyes Theo. She's on their side."

"Didn't you see her, they're starving her." I can't shake that image of her out of my head. She's about to say something else when Vlad steps between us.

"The more important question is how they got away so quickly."

"If they're using her, they could be using others." Alexander pipes in. I'm so giddy with the thought that she's alive I don't bother listening to them. Now that I know they're keeping her alive I won't stop until I find her and bring her home.