Chapter 43

JOEY

"You're gonna wanna see this!" I shout at the others. We've been searching for any sign of those two since they disappeared. So far we've come up with nothing, until now. I can't tear my eyes away from Theo. I'm too afraid to check if he's still alive, but I don't have to. The moment Alexander sees him he checks.

"He's alive, but just." I stare down at the stake in his chest. This must be what's keeping him from healing. I help Alexander pick him and carry him back to the others. When Vlad sees him he shouts out orders for the others to create a spot for him and prepare blood. The whole time Theo doesn't even make a sound. If I didn't know any better I'd say he was dead.

We don't dare pull the stake out until he's gotten some blood in his system. No one can bring themselves to speak as we sit around just waiting. Do they know they left him alive or was it a mistake? Does this mean they could have left Arabella to die too or did they take her? This just doesn't make sense.

"Alright it's time." Vlad says standing. He stands next to Theo and grips the stake. I know all about those vampire hunters special stakes. Something in them renders you immobile and the longer it stays in you the worse you get. In one swift motion he pulls it out. I'm relieved when Theo lets out a shout. This is the first reaction he's given us since we found him. He's not going to like what he hears when he wakes up.

---

It takes weeks for his wound to heal and even longer for him to wake up. We've all been taking turns watching over him, but there's really nothing more we can do, and so long as he's healing there really is nothing to worry about. Alexander comes in to take my place when Theo groans. He doesn't open his eyes.

"Where am I?" His voice is so rough it's hard to understand him.

"You're in a safe house..." I don't want to tell him the rest.

"You were attacked." Alexander says before he asks. "We're not sure why they left you alive or if they meant to." Theo nods. With some effort he opens his eyes looking around. I know who he's looking for.

"Where is she?" His eyes settle on the two of us.

"Why don't you just get some rest. You've been out for a long time, but you still have a lot of healing to do." He's so weak he can't do much more than speak.

"They have her don't they. I remember seeing her and then darkness."

"We don't know. But we haven't found her, so they must have taken her." Alexander says. Theo doesn't say anything, but he doesn't have to. It's written all over his face. Without another word we leave the room.

THEO

I couldn't even protect her. I tired to warn her but it was too late. I wasn't strong enough. If I was, she would be here next to me. I want to punch something but I can't move. I don't know how I'm gonna get her out of this one. I swallow. That is if she's still alive. I try to shake the thought out of my head but it's no use. These are vampire hunters, and I know how they reacted to her. Dammit!

I'm stuck in bed for another week before I can even move. When I can the others try to convince me to stay in bed, but I can't. If I have to spend another minute in there just starting at the ceiling I'll explode. I don't fail to notice that there's always someone close by watching me. If they think I'm going to run after her I can't. I wouldn't even know where to start. The best I can do for her is help the others locate their hideout. I hate it.

"I've got a source that says they've seen an unusually large amount of hunters here." Vlad says pointing at the map. Our group has grown while I was passed out. They've been recruiting this whole time and we finally have enough people to raid the location. "Here." He points to the map a couple miles away from the location. "Is the meeting point. Gather the others and meet us there." A couple of them speed off.

Finally we're getting somewhere. I've been dying just sitting here. If they do have her there's no telling what they're doing to her. I need to find her soon.