Chapter 55

ARABELLA

I can't let him hurt Peter. I open the door and go after him. The halls are empty but I have no trouble following the scent of his blood. He must really think I won't leave without Peter because this place is empty. He leads me right to him and I catch the door just as it's about to close and peek in. Peter's in a room similar to mine. Thought of him being chained to a dungeon floor haunted me since I got here. Peter takes one look at Adrian and moves away. His eyes are crazy and his shirt is soaked in blood.

"She got you." Peter states smiling. "Good, then maybe she'll be able to get away." He can't keep his eyes off the blood dripping down his Adrian's neck. They've been starving him too.

"What was that?" He asks quietly.

"I said she'll be able to leave."

"No, not that! She bit me and I-I..." Peter's eyes widen and he sinks into a nearby chair. "I couldn't control myself. There's something in her blood! It felt so..."

"Good." Peter finishes for him. "It's not her blood." He says slowly. If I were to drink from you it'd probably be a little uncomfortable. I don't know much but what a friend told me. A bite from a vampire is intoxicating when-" Adrian growls and tosses Peter across the room like it was nothing.

"I don't!" He's about to do it again but I move between the two of them. He backs away immediately. "What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't let you hurt him. It was a mistake, a moment of weakness. You're right though. It is me, it's..." It's what? It has nothing to do with me but he needs to think that it's me and not him.

"Arabella leave." Peter says getting up. "You need to get out of here." He glances at Adrian. "He-"

"It's addicting, anyone I bite loses themselves." Shut up Peter. He hates vampires so much the thought of loving me will tear him apart. I won't let him take his anger out on you. Adrian suddenly grabs me by the hair.

"Bella!" Adrian presses the knife so hard against my throat I'm already bleeding. "What are you doing? Kill him, kill him and you can go back to Theo." Theo.

"All I'm saying is you can't just go running into every hunter hideout you find. you're not being careful. What good are you to her dead!" I've never seen him so angry.

"Again?" But I just thought of him. Joey grabs me by the shoulders so hard it hurts.

"Are you even listening to me? I don't want to find you dead next time we catch up to you." He shoves me back into the wall and dust falls from the ceiling. His fist comes at my face so suddenly I can't dodge it.

"Jesus Joey." He pauses.

"Bella?" I rub Theo's jaw. He really didn't hold back.

"What's going on? Why are you fighting?"

"Nothing you need to worry about right now. How are you?" Right, Peter. But he's not in danger right now, I am. And Theo's in my body. I wish he didn't have to see that. I don't want him worrying anymore than he already is, but I trust that he won't do anything stupid. I'm not even dure how to force myself back.

"Joey...why are some people so affected by a bite?" I know it has nothing to do with attraction.

"Why are you asking?"

"I just...Theo and I, does it have anything to do with attraction?" I need to know.

"It's more than that." Alexander says walking into the room looking me up and down like he really sees me. "You can be attracted to some one and not feel anything from a bite. It's not uncommon to feel something, but most vampires now don't care enough to look into it.

"So it's what?"

"Why do you want to know? Is it just because of Theo?" I sigh.

"I bit one of the hunters and he..."

"Did you?"

"No, now tell me." He glances at Joey.

"Do you know how new vampires are created? Besides a human being turned." I shake my head. "They're born. Not any two vampires can create one. That euphoria you feel when bitten is a sign, but you both have to feel it. Before you ask, I don't know why. That knowledge was lost a long time ago." My face heats up.

"But Theo and I have..."

"It's not easy to conceive a vampiric child, but that's what that feeling is there for. It's like an instinct to breed, so we don't die out...most of us now were once human. It's rare for one to be born because people don't know or don't care."

"Does Theo know?" I didn't think I had to worry about that kind of thing now. "Why does only one person feel it sometimes?"

"At the risk of sounding sappy it's because they aren't meant to be together. You've already found who you're supposed to be with so you couldn't feel that with someone else. This other guy hasn't so it's easier for him to bond to you. I guess that's where the attraction comes in. A hunter and a vampire... I doubt Theo knows any of this. He's not really the fall in love type."

"Have you felt it?" His face goes red. "Who is she?" I can't help but smile. Alexander the ladies man actually likes someone.

"Yes but she'd already found someone else...you need to get back to your body. Theo hasn't been himself lately."

--------------------------------

Helloooo! I keep looking when I last published and find out it's months ago. I'm so grateful that you all keep reading even when it takes me forever to update. So as always, thanks for reading.