Chapter 14

They toss me into a room, and throw Theo in beside me. When they slam the door shut I rush to his side shaking him gently.

"Theo...Theo." He groans. I relax and lean against the wall. At least he's alive. I look around. It's just a small room with stone walls. There's a drain on the floor and hooks hang from the ceiling. A lever on the wall looked like it controlled the length of the chains. I shiver. I hope this place isn't what I think it is. Theo sits up and looks to me rubbing the back of his head. I give him a weak smile. He tries the door before sitting next to me. He sits so close that our shoulders are touching. "Theo?"

"Hm?"

"Why did you do that?"

"I couldn't let you die." He rests his head against the wall.

"But now hundreds more could die." I can't believe he would sacrifice all those people just for me. I know he's smarter than this.

"He could still be alive. There were five of us, and we were all given a different location. He could have been in any one. Unless they managed to find all five of us there's no way they found him....It wouldn't matter anyway. They'd already won." He bows his head. I don't think he's used to losing. Would he have fought harder if I wasn't there? Would he have died?

"What happens now?" We look up as a slot in the door opens.

"I don't know."

"Put these on." A man slides chains into the open slot. I stare at the thick chains. They had to be thicker than my hand. Theo picks them up easily and gives them a test pull before frowning.

"I'm sorry." He says as he cuffs my wrists. When he lets them go my hands jerk to the floor. I try to lift my hands, but the chains are too heavy. I guess they don't want to risk Theo breaking my chains either.

"Against the wall." The man says when Theo puts on his own chains and we do as he says. What are we going to do? I've seen old war movies. I really hope that isn't what they do here. Maybe they just want us to convert to their side?

The moment the man walks in Theo throws his chained arm over his head, tightening it around the mans neck. He didn't seem too hurt by it. Just angry. Theo looks to me and nods towards the door. I peek out and I'm shoved back in by another man. Both men had red eyes. The man that pushed me back into the room grabs me by my throat and turns to Theo. Gee vampires really like to go for the throat.

Theo releases the other and the man holding me shoves me at Theo. I would have fallen down if Theo hadn't held me up. I glare at them. I'm so tired of being pushed around by vampires. They think because they're stronger they can do whatever they want. The man Theo had tried to choke moves towards the lever on the wall. As he turns it the chains groan as they lower. When they're low enough the other man takes the chain around my wrist and hangs it from the hook, then does the same for Theo.

It feels pretty good to get the weight of that chain off my arms. They made me feel like my arms were being stretched. The feeling of relief doesn't last for long, and the man turns the lever until our feet are no longer touching the ground. I guess they really are going to torture us. Just as I think this another man walks into the room. He looked more neatly kept than the other two. He had short brown hair, and red eyes. He was also wearing red.

"So this is them." He smiles as he takes us in. "It can get pretty boring around here...do you know what I do to ease the boredom?" He looks between the two of us. "I find people like you two. People who don't seem to want to follow the rules." He suddenly whips out a stick and slams it into Theo's gut. I could hear the static, but Theo doesn't call out. The man turns to me, and shocks him again.

"Stop." A smile spreads across his face.

"I can see that you are going to be easy." He runs the stick along Theo's cheek. "You probably not so much." He moves to me and slams the stick into my stomach. I close my eyes waiting for the shock, but it doesn't come. "Now tell me the truth, and I'll go easy on you." I open my eyes to glare at him. Geez I already told the other guy I don't know anything about the councilman. "I heard what you did back at the house." He jams the stick harder into my stomach and a small wave of electricity hits me. I can't stop my body from jerking. "So tell me, why did you intervene?"

"I don't..." He laughs at my confusion. He sends another shock my way just for the fun of it.

"What made you, a human, try to stop a vampire from beating him?" Oh well that's just a stupid question.

"What kind of question is that?" The man frowns.

"Wrong answer." He turns and shocks Theo again. He holds it there for what felt like forever.

"Who would sit here and watch someone being tortured and not say anything." I say quickly. The man suddenly turns and smacks me in the face so hard my head jerks to the side.

"Still the wrong answer! Stop lying to me!" What? But that's why I did it. "You're telling me that if this was a complete stranger you would do the same?" I nod. He growls before pulling out a knife. He holds it in front of my face. "See what happens when you lie to me." He turns and stabs Theo in the side. This time he grunts. I gasp as he pushes it in deeper. Tears sting my eyes.

"Just stop! I don't know what you want me to say!" He pulls the knife out and runs it along my cheek smearing Theo's blood on me.

"It's not what I want you to say...it's more something you want to say...in regards to him" Something I want to say? Sure I want to say a lot of things. I would give this guy a piece of my mind, but I know better than to do that. The man turns when there's a knock on the door.

"Sir, we have news." The man sighs and wipes the blood from the knife onto my shirt.

"Think about what I said." He says before leaving, the other two following him out before slamming the door shut. They're just going to leave us hanging here. I look to Theo. His head is bowed. He's not dead is he?

"Theo?" He grunts.

"Are you okay?" He asks. Am I okay? Am I okay? I'm not the one who got stabbed. Would he even be in this situation if I hadn't said anything back at the house. I didn't even think.

"Yeah...you?" He laughs bitterly.

"Yes, this is nothing....I'm sorry. I should have left you back at the apartment. I just thought that if they won, you would be there all by yourself. I guess that's better than being here." Yeah I'd be at the apartment worrying about him. Despite how much of a jerk he can be, I still don't want anything to happen to him. I've grown so used to his company I don't know what I'd do without him. I mean sure, most of the time we just sat around in silence, but it was comforting.

I glance back at him. His head is still bowed, staring at the floor. Something I want to say about Theo? Theo...