Chapter 25

THEO

"How is she?" Alexander asks as he leans on the wall next to me. I throw the cigarette on the ground and put it out with my shoe. "I haven't seen you smoke in decades." He comments as I light another.

"She's sleeping." I say. She's been sleeping for days. She even slept through the move. It's not like we could stay in the same place. They probably would have followed her trail of blood. I close my eyes and try not to think of the way she stumbled into the room that day. All alone. She had to get out all by herself. I still don't know how she did it. I've kept everyone at bay with the excuse that she needed time to heal, but now that her wounds are almost healed they'll want to question her again. I sigh and put out my cigarette. I see Vlad walking up to us and I already know what he's coming to tell me.

"She's awake." He says. "It's time." I reluctantly follow him into the room that Arabella has been sleeping in. When I walk through the door I find her setting up a circle of chairs and Joey's helping her. Rebecca leans against the wall glaring at her.

"Okay why don't you guys sit down." Arabella says. I take a seat next to her, Joey on the other side then, Alexander, Vlad and Rebecca. I can't help but stare at the white scar on her face. It's something that might not heal all the way. She'll forever have that scar. "So you guys have read the files...well the experiments they did worked." She says.

"How do you know?" I ask. She hesitates and looks to Joey who nods encouragingly. "I think it's best if I just show you. Everyone hold hands." She takes mine and waits for everybody to join hands. Then closes her eyes.

--

"Did we ever define what would qualify as a stupid?" There's got to be about twenty guys out there. I bet I could lure them all away. They might not set off an alarm for one person. I can probably pass for a human if I could just find away to hide my eyes. "Does anyone have shades or something?" Joey studies me as one of the guys tosses me some sun glasses. "How about a flask or..." I trail off as the same guy tosses me a flask. "Really?" I say.

"See this is why I didn't want you to come along. Whatever it is you're thinking right now is stupid." I give him the biggest smile I can muster as I slip on the shades.

"Get Theo out for me, okay?"

"Arabella no." Alexander says when I stand. "Get down." He reaches for me but I hop over the wall and start walking towards the building.

"I won't forgive you if you don't get him out alive." I twist off of the lid of the flask and take a swig. Ew, vodka. I jog up as far away from the others as I dared. I can't be caught to close to them. "Whoa this place looks awesome!" I say adding in a stumble as I make my way towards the nearest guard.

--

The images stop as Rebecca jumps up and moves away from the circle. She points an accusing finger at Arabella.

"What the hell was that?" She says. I can see that everyone else feels as shaken as she looks. "It was like...like I was in your body. I could actually feel what you were feeling." Vlad nods.

"I'm pretty sure I heard your thoughts." Alexander says.

"How did you even know you could do that?" I ask. That was classic Arabella. She did everything she could to make sure they were able to get me out.

"Well Joey came in to change my bandages and I was thinking about that day...when he touched me the same thing happened that I just showed you." Joey nods to confirm this. "Now if you want to know what happened then I suggest you sit down and shut up." This she directs to Rebecca, who sits down with a huff and takes the others hand.