Chapter 28

ARABELLA

I pull in through the drive through. If I had it my way we would keep going, but the others didn't take it well when I passed the last Taco Palace. I order myself something as well and we head off again. They wanted to stop at a motel but I convinced them that I could do the driving while they sleep. At this rate I should be able to get to Nevada.

"So where are you coming from?" Julia asks. I can see the others looking at me curiously.

"I was traveling with my boyfriend, a road trip. My friends needed me so I left and now here I am." Close enough to the truth that they'll believe it. Maybe it will satisfy their need to ask questions.

"Boyfriend huh. And where is this boyfriend?" Gavin asks placing his hands on the back of my seat and leaning forward. I wonder where he is. He's probably going to try to track me as far as he can. Then I don't know what. I wish I could have said goodbye. I think that the odds are in my favor here. I can freeze time and they can't.

THEO

"Damn it." The trail gets cold here. She must have gotten in a car or something. I turn to Alexander. I want to yell at him, I want to hit him, but I know it isn't his fault. Now that she can freeze time none of us will be able to stop her from going where ever she wants. "Tell me again what happened."

"We were talking and this black box suddenly appeared. That's really all I remember considering she froze me. I've told you this a thousand times. It's not going to change." I run my hands through my hair. What could have made her leave like that. I thought we were past this kind of thing.

"You must have missed something. You didn't hear anything?" He sighs.

"Again, Theo. I was frozen. How many-"

"Uh guys." Vlad says tapping me on my shoulder. I turn around and come face to face with black square.

"Yup that's the box." Alexander says taking a step back. The box becomes fuzzy before a brown haired man appears. A smile stretches across his face as he watches us. Is this the same guy that appeared to her?

"Where is she?" His smile grows wider.

"You must be Theo. I can tell you where she's going. Sure." Alexander tugs on my arm.

"This isn't right man." I shrug him off.

"Where?"

ARABELLA

The others finally won and stopped at a motel for the night. I can live with that considering I'm in Nevada and he hasn't contacted me yet. I scan the woods for anything to eat. I haven't really eaten in a couple days. It's a lot harder than I thought to get away from them. Every time I excuse myself to go to the bathroom the girls feel the need to follow me. I mean what is up with that?

"Are you there?" I nearly jump out of my skin as I spin around to find the black square. It's a little disturbing that he can pop in on me where ever I am.

"Yes, I should be in California in a couple days. I need the city."

"That will be unnecessary. We will come to you?"

"How will you find me? You don't even know where I'm coming in." He just smiles and the box disappears. I'm starting to think it's a bad idea to let these humans go to California.

---

When we make it to California I try to separate myself from these humans, but they always seem to be around. I could just run away. I could show them that I'm not human and they'd leave me alone. A part of me doesn't want them to know. Being with them has reminded me what it's like to be human again. I miss it more than I should and a part of me can't let go of my human half.