Chapter 52

The house seems too ordinary to be the right place. Of all the vampire homes I've seen this is just...normal. Just a house in the suburbs. I check the the numbers on the mailbox again from our hideout a couple houses down. 1829. I sigh and glance at Peter.

"Well?" He asks.

"It's the right address. Theo never talked about what the place was supposed to look like. I don't think he knew either. Doesn't it seem too normal to you?"

"Well yeah, but of I were hiding from vampire hunters I'd want to blend in with the humans. This person can strip other vampires of their powers. I'd bet the hunters would love to get their hands on them." That sounds reasonable. So what? Do I just walk up to the house? He could have traps set for other vampires. What if he's expecting me and Theo? I wish we hadn't gotten split up. When these powers are gone I'm gonna give those hunters a piece of my mind.

"Maybe you should stay here, just in case."

"No way. I'm not going to let you do this alone." I sigh knowing he's just going to follow me anyway. I nod and we try to walk casually up to the house. I ring the doorbell and scan our surroundings. I can't see them yet but I can hear a woman walking her dog just around the corner and a couple houses down children play tag in their front yard. I turn back to the door as it opens.

"Can I help you?" He's young and good looking. Just like what you'd expect in a vampire but no red eyes. He must wear contacts to blend in even more.

"Hi I'm Arabella. I'm looking for Nathaniel?" The corner of his mouth turns up slightly.

"Yes I've been waiting for you. It must have been a long journey come inside." My eyes nearly pop out of my head when I see who's inside. I bound up to Theo throwing my arms around him.

"Bella." Peter says. Something in his voice makes me turn to look at him but he says nothing else. Theo's grip tightens on me and I turn back to him with a smile.

"I was so worried. Did you see the others? Are they okay?" He pats my head ruffling my hair.

"Don't you worry about them." He places his hand on my chin tilting my head up to kiss him. Something doesn't feel right. I pull away and study his face. The longer I look at him the more the illusion fades. That's not Theo. I back away looking around the room it's no longer the nice homey place it had been. Every piece of furniture is broken and a guy lay motionless on the ground. That must be Nathaniel. "You really thought you could escape me so easily? I told you what I'd do if you didn't come back to me willingly."

"Adrian." No, no, no. How could he have found me? It's impossible. I wipe my mouth. I kissed him. This monster.

"It wasn't that bad." He smiles. I look to Peter. He knew from the moment we walked in that something was wrong and I let my guard down because I thought Theo was here. How could I be so stupid? I move away from Adrian and he lets me. He knows I can't escape. I move towards the real Nathaniel. He has to be alive, without him this was all for nothing. I'll never be free. "I didn't kill him...yet. Lucky for him I got here first." He glares down at him. He's still alive. That means there's still a chance he can get rid of my powers. I wonder how his powers work. If he just touches me will I be free? I reach out for him but Adrian pulls me back. "Not so fast." He motions for the guy holding Peter to stand in front of us. "You've really done it this time Bella. It seems you will only listen with the proper motivation. Kill him."

"No please. You can't. If you kill him I'll never listen to you. I will keep fighting." No one else can die because of me. He holds up his hand to stop the hunter holding Peter. "Let him live and I'll go with you."

"Don't Bella, it's okay. " Adrian snaps his finger and in one swift movement the hunter twisted Peter's arm until there's a loud snap. Peter screams and collapses to his knees. The hunter reaches for his second arm.

"Don't!" My head swimming. Will he still kill him? Another pop.

"This is what will happen if you disobey me. If I even think you're trying to run he's dead." Tears spring to my eyes. I'm so sorry Peter. This is why I didn't want to be friends anymore. All I do is hurt people.

_____________________
They take us for a long drive. We don't seem to be headed back to the place I was kept last time, but the farther we get from Nathaniel's house the more hope I lose. Maybe Theo would have gone there but there's no way anyone will find me now.

They keep Peter and me separated when we get to the new place. It's a smaller and looks more like a two story country home. Adrian himself leads me to a room on the second floor. He closes the door behind us and his eyes scan me.

"You were human before." I don't say anything. "You aren't like the others, I can't seem to keep my mind off you." He reaches his hand out to touch my face but I move before he can touch me. After what he's done to me how can he think I'd let him touch me. I still can't believe I kissed him. He lets his hand fall. "If you even think of leaving this room your friend is dead." With that he's gone.

Stuck again. Will this never end. I was so close to being out, so close. I move towards the window. I wonder where they put Peter and Nathaniel. There's nothing outside for miles. I have no way of knowing where we are. Peter never should have come with me. He'd be safer and I'd be free to try to escape. My hands are tied until I can find where he is. I hope his arms are healed. I can still hear the sound of his bones cracking. I shiver. I'll get us out of here Peter.