Chapter 27

ARABELLA

I practically have to run all the way to California. Starting in Illinois doesn't really make this any easier. It seems the more I run the more sleep I need. I always thought vampires could run as fast and far as they wanted without tiring. I've been running all night and finding somewhere to sleep is a little harder considering I have no money. It's night now and I'm having a hard time running today, but I can't stop. He hasn't contacted me since I left and I'm afraid I'm taking too long. This is still the fastest way though. I just have to keep pushing through. A black square appears in front of me and I dive to the side to keep from running into it. I fall to the ground and roll a couple times dust flying up around me. I roll over onto my back the black square floating above me and fading into a picture.

"Where are you?" I can hear the edge in his voice. The screen pans to the side where some vampire splashes water on Ian's face. He jumps awake. My eyes widen as the vampire takes one of those taser rods and slams it into his side. The very same one they used on me.

"Stop! I'm going as fast as I can!" Ian looks around at the sound of my voice.

"It's not fast enough! Where are you?" He growls.

"Bella?"

"It's okay I'm coming for you guys. It-"

"Where!"

"It's been awhile since I've been up to the road. Hold on." I run the couple miles to the road and walk at a human pace until I come upon a sign. "Montrose."

"You better be in Nevada next time I check in or one of them dies." With that the screen is gone.

"Damn it!" I kick the dirt. How does he expect me to get across the entirety of Utah and who knows when he'll check back in. I've done nothing but bring harm to them since the day I met them. I might just have to sever ties with them after this or they will always be used as pawns to get to me. I guess this is why vampires don't have many human friends. A pair of headlights light up the path in front of me and the loud heavy metal is turned down. I move to the side where someone is rolling down their window.

"Hey, you look like hell." The guy says waving me closer.

"Did you stop just to tell me that?" I can't keep the edge out of my voice I need to keep going but I can't just run off with these humans here to see me. Or can I?

"No." A girl pops her head out the back window. "We wanted to know if you wanted a ride. Where are you headed?" This might work out. If they alternate drivers and only stop for gas and food. I can constantly be moving.

"California." The guy lets out a low whistle.

"That's a long ways. Hop in, we're headed that way too." The girl opens her door and slides to the middle. Inside the car there's two other guys and one other girl. "This up here driving is Nolan and next to him is Peyton. I'm Gavin. Those two back there with you are Miles and Julia." This is taking to long we need to go.

"Arabella."

PETER

Damn this sucks. I sit up and lean against the stone wall. Those suckers jumped our group. I don't even know if the vampires with us are alive. They just knocked us out and took us. What could possibly want with us? We're human. My shoulders and wrists ache like I've been hanging by my wrists.

"You're awake." Ian says leaning against the wall a couple feet away. He's worse for wear. Did they do something to him while I was out.

"You okay?" He nods. "What do they want with us?"

"Arabella." No way. We haven't seen her in months.

"How do you know?" Maybe he's just guessing. I thought they already had her. The last time we saw her she got herself taken to save me. It was a stupid thing to do, but I was living on the hope she managed to get away. Especially since that guy went with her. I'd hate to think she got away just to be forced back because of me again.

"This guy was talking to her. I couldn't see her but I heard her voice. He wants her to move faster...they tased me to motivate her." Damn. They're using us like bait. I sigh. Why do they want her so bad?

"Well shit." Xavier says. He's been a little off since she was captured. He even blamed me for a while. I couldn't blame him. It was my fault. Hell I blame myself. "Do you think this is what they did to her?" He asks.

"Who knows. We need to get out of here." Valentina pipes in.

"And what chance do we have against vampires?" She's the only one out of the four of us. "Maybe you can get away and keep her away."

"I'm not just gonna leave you guys. Who knows what they'll do if one of us escapes." I knew she wouldn't go for it. If we can't all get out then we're just sitting ducks.

ARABELLA

"Wicked scar. How'd you get it?" Gavin asks as I attempt to comb my fingers through my hair to straighten it out. He's now driving so Nolan can sleep. "You've also got to tell me where you got those contacts. They look so real."

"It's a long story." I hate the scar on my face. Theo said it probably won't heal all the way. I hadn't even known vampires could scar.

"And we've got a long drive." Julia pipes in. I sigh. I don't even know what I can tell them. I've never thought about talking to humans again. They're a part of a whole other world now.

"I was in a car accident. Why are you guys picking up hitchhikers anyway? Isn't that dangerous?" They've unknowingly picked up a vampire and they have no idea what I could do to them. I wouldn't kill them but another might.

"Well we're all strangers. We met online and decided to take the trip together. This is Peyton's car and she wanted to go to Cali for awhile, but didn't want to go alone. I guess we took such a big risk going on this road trip together we thought, what's the harm in another stranger?" Oh. How simple all that is. It's nothing like the situations I've found myself in. Walking home to find my parents dead. Meeting Theo. Sometimes I forget how easy it is to be a human. Makes me wish I could go back to it.