Chapter 17

ARABELLA

I should have known she would be on their side. I can't believe that Theo was even with someone like her. I glance back at him but he's still fighting off the others. Looks like this one is up to me. That's fine with me. I can finally do something about all that crap she put me through. I think she'll find I'm not as fun to mess with anymore.

She lunges at me and something whistles as it swishes past my face. I briefly see the glint of a blade as she moves to swing again. Oh come on! I grab her arm as she tries to cut me again. Her eyes widen.

"He changed you." Oh my gosh she was actually trying to kill me when she thought I was still human. She's always been such a bitch! I swing my fist at her face, she barely dodges. I pull my fist back to try again but, Theo appears between us.

"Leave Colette." She snarls. 

"Theo I've got-" I start to say.

"The longer we stay here the less likely it is we'll get away." I sigh. Damn it. He's right. He wraps his arm around my shoulder and glances back at her. "In case it isn't clear we're done." If looks could kill. I try to hold back my smile as her entire face turns red.

"I will not be treated like this." She grumbles before raising the knife.

"Theo look out!" I shove my whole body into him. He stumbles to the side and a feel the sickening slunk of the knife going into my stomach. I don't know why but I thought that would hurt less as a vampire. She smirks pulling the knife out triumphantly.

Theo appears behind her eyes blazing. He grabs her head breathing heavily. I put my hands up trying to get his attention on me. I'm no longer human anymore. It may hurt like hell but it's not going to kill me.

"Theo...look I'm okay." He glances up at me eyes studying me. I can see his muscles tense as his eyes land on the blood oozing from my wound. "She's not even worth it." He closes his eyes before releasing her. He scoops me up and we're on the move again

****************

We keep moving for awhile. The sun is almost set, by the time we stop in a small town. Except for Joey and the blonde guy we separated from the rest. Joey's inside the main office of this small motel we found. Theo didn't want to leave me and we couldn't let the blonde guy go in there covered in blood.

"I thought it would be best if we all stay together." He says holding up one key. The motel is so old it looks like the one's you'd see in slasher films. The whole building is connected in one line, and there's only one floor. The parking lot of gravel reaches all the way to the sidewalk in front of the doors. The whole place is dimly lit by two street lights.

We walk all the way to the room on the end. The blonde guy announces he's gonna hunt, and disappears. I want to sit on the bed but I don't want to dirty the sheets. I opt for the floor and lean against the wall.

"So what happens now?" I ask. Theo and Joey share a look before looking to me.

"Well." Theo says sitting next to me. "The council is no longer in charge...first things first we need to see if John is still alive." Alright.

"How are we going to do that?" Theo sighs rubbing his temples.

"We'll have to go back to his house to see if he's still hiding. He had enough blood with him to last him awhile until someone comes to get him. Assuming he wasn't found." Okay that sounds like a plan.

"Won't those other vampires still be there?"

"Maybe."

"Either way." Joey pipes in. "We need to change clothes. We'll attract too much attention if we don't. So I'm gonna go find us all something." With that he's gone. Theo and I are alone for the first time since we escaped.