Chapter 47

ARABELLA

The closer we get to the others the sicker I feel. What am I going to tell them? They've known Theo so much longer than me.

"Do you want me to drive?" Ian asks. I shake my head. "You must be tired."

"I said no." I close my eyes for a moment. "I'm sorry. I guess I should rest." I pull over and swap spots with Ian. I don't think I'll be able to sleep, but before I know it I'm dozing off.

THEO

I pace the room anxiously. They should be here by now. I need to see her. I have to make sure she's okay. I pause in my pacing as their car pulls to a stop. I'm at her door in an instant. I pull open the door and find her asleep. My eyes scan every inch of her and a smile creeps on my face. She's fine. I move to pick her up but my hands go right through her. I try again but the same thing happens. Everyone in the car is staring at us.

"You're alive." Valentina states.

"What's going on? Why can't I touch her?" Joey moves to stand beside me, placing a hand on her shoulder he gently shakes her awake. What the hell is going on? She jumps into his arms sobbing.

"Joey, Theo's...he's..." She grips his shirt and he glances my way. She did think I was dead.

"Bella I'm right here." She just continues to sob. Joey gently pushes her away before turning her to face me. My heart drops to my stomach when she looks right through me. She looks back at Joey trying to wipe away the tears.

"Bella, Theo's right there." he points in my direction and she scowls.

"That's not funny." She growls moving away from him.

"You can't see him?" Her glare turns to Peter when he speaks up. She's backing away from all of them. Then she's gone. I don't have any trouble following her. She runs for awhile before dropping to her knees and banging her fists on the ground. I sit beside her and try to place a hand on her back. I sigh when my hand goes through her. What did they do to her? This has to have something to do with the hunters, but how could they have the power to do this?

She stays there for hours just crying and it kills me that I can't so anything. It's me she's crying for but I'm right here. She's going to hate the others for saying those things when she can't see me. How can I let her know I'm here?

---

Arabella just mopes around for weeks. She stays in her room and refuses to eat anything. I can't bring myself to leave her side. I'm still half hoping she'll see me again. Alexander comes in with more blood. She doesn't even look at him. He frowns and glances at me. I move to stand next to him. He sets the glass of blood on the bedside table before moving away from her.

"She needs to eat." I say. She's starting to lose weight and she's just getting weaker. Alexander gives me a look.

"Just say it and I'll make her drink it." I hate to do this to her, but I can't let her die. She needs to know I'm alive. I nod my head. "Arabella." She doesn't move or make a sound. "If you don't drink this then I'll have to make you. He puts his hand on her shoulder and pulls it away immediately. He looks me over as if he's seen a ghost.

"What is it?" He waves me over. He's trying not to talk to me around her. They all do that so they don't make her feel worse. I put my hand on his shoulder and he touches her again. I have to move away. I can't stand the look she had. They paraded my dead body in front of her. For weeks she sat with what she thought was me. How could they do that to her? My hands ball into fists. I can't believe I let her be taken. I should have been there.

Alexander lifts her up and she tries to fight him off but she's so weak. He tilts her head back and forces her mouth open. The blood slides down her face as she tries to resist. "You have to drink this. He wouldn't want you to die like this." His words don't stop her from trying to spit it out. It's painful to watch but he tries to make her drink everything. There was talk of an IV but they figured she'd just rip it out. When he's finished he moves away from her and shivers. I follow him into the hallway. She's so tired from trying to fight him off she just lays back down.

"Theo she's bad. Just making her eat isn't going to fix this. She keeps thinking about your dead body. You saw what they did to her. We have to find a way to make her see you or..."

"I know. I've been trying to think of something that would let her know without a doubt that I'm here. If we do this and she doesn't believe it, I don't think she'll get through this." He sighs.

"Just keep thinking. It's got to be something only the two of you know, but it can't just be anything. It has to mean something."

"I know."