Chapter 12

ARABELLA

My wounds from that night are finally almost nonexistent. I was glad when Theo no longer had to help me change my bandages. The truth is, it grows more awkward between us everyday. I can't even remember the last time we had a normal conversation. Today he's sitting in the living room reading that book he never lets be see the title of.

His phone goes off and he gets up to answer it while I take his distraction to text Xavier back. The phone he gave me was for emergencies he'd said, but he's given me a way to talk to the others. We haven't really hung out since the date. It wasn't Theo who was keeping us apart either. All the vampires were acting weird and didn't want to let anyone out of their rooms. I hide my phone when Theo walks back into the room.

"I have to go. I'll be back in a couple of hours." With that he's gone.

THEO

We're all gathered around the table waiting for a couple others to arrive. It was the entire vampire council which means that the news must be bad. The other people around were other vampire hunters like me. A meeting with all of us is also a bad sign.

"Alright, quiet down." The head council member, John, shouts. He was an older vampire who has been head counsel man since before I was born. When everyone falls silent he continues. "It's finally happened." Whispers erupts around us. All those rogue vampires I hunt are part of a larger group. They've been slowly building up their numbers waiting for the right time to strike back at us. It's not a good sign if they've already worked up the courage to do something. I look up as John waved his hand at an empty council chair.

"Late last night a large number of them attacked Anette's house and murdered her."

"There's no way that happened. All council members have trained guards." A man scoffs.

"They killed them all." I sit up in my chair. No way! Those guards are practically trained form birth. They're highly skilled vampires. "It can be assumed that they will hunt down all of the council members so that they can finally take over." I rub my temples. This is going to be a pain in my ass. I don't need this right now.

"All of you will be given instructions on what your roll will be. I don't have to tell you all what will happen if they succeed." I stand with everyone else. What am I going to do with Arabella? I can't leave her here if they send me away.

"Theo!" I turn to face Joey. "Hey man, I haven't seen you in awhile." I shoot him a smile and we walk out of the room, and down the hall.

"Yeah, I've been kinda busy."

"You still with that piece of work? What was her name?....Colette!"

"Yeah...How have you been?" I ask as we stop in front of the front entrance. Joey and I go way back. We hunted down a few vampires together a couple years back. Before that we both worked on the council. That's something I'll never do again.

"Same old, same old. I also heard something interesting." He raises his eyebrow. "I heard you got yourself a human." People around here gossip too much.

"Yeah, those rogues killed her whole family."

"That happens a lot. Now that they attacked a counsel member it's probably gonna happen a lot more. Makes me glad I'm no longer part of the counsel." I smile and check my phone. I've already been gone for more than an hour. I need to get back.

"It was nice talking to you, but I have to go. Call me if you've got some free time." He nods and I head back to my apartment. Inside I find her still lounging on the couch. She tucks the phone in the cushions. She should know that she can't hide things from a vampire.

I sigh. I guess now would be a good time as any to tell her what's going on. It seems unfair that she has to be dragged into something like this. She deserves something simple that makes her happy. Once this is started there's no telling how long it will go on.

---

ARABELLA

Today is the day Theo finds out what we're gonna be doing. I've been nervous since he told me the vampires were on the brink of war. It's not an unusual concept, but to be so close to it is scary. War with humans is one thing but vampires. We're sitting at the table as he opens the letter from the counsel. My mind is still swimming from what he told me the other night. I always kind of thought vampires lived by human laws. I mean they kind of have to, to avoid being noticed. But a whole vampire government.

Theo told me it would be a problem for humans too if the rogue vampires take over. They would terrorize humans, and kill them when they want. I didn't know this vampire counsel did so much to make sure that vampires and humans lived together peacefully. I watch as he scans the paper.

"So?" I ask when he doesn't say anything.

"I'm on guard duty." He sighs. So he'll be one of the ones that stays at one of the counsel members houses. "I'm to be there before tomorrow morning....you need to pack." I nod. I don't dare argue. The vampires are going to duke it out and I don't want to be left here alone and I don't want him to go alone. I'd already started packing a bag since Theo told me we probably wouldn't be staying here much longer. I shove a couple more things in my bag. Despite the circumstances the change in scenery will be nice. We're leaving so quickly I don't get the chance to say goodbye to my friends. It makes me even more grateful I have this phone.

Theo opens the cab door for me before sliding in next to me. This is it. I glance at Theo. If this is happening now I'm glad that I'm with him.