Chapter 37

ARABELLA

"Do we have to sit through this?" Ian asks as Valentina hands me another dress. She just waves her hand at him.

"I have to agree." I say with a sigh. I was never a big shopper. My mom used to drag me with her. When she couldn't get me more into shopping she settles for letting me help carry her bags. Haven't thought about her in awhile. With everything that's happened my parents have been the last thing on my mind. I bet she'd be laughing now if she could see me with the pile of dresses in my arms.

"You have to stay because we need a guy's opinion and you," She turns back to me. "We're uh, going dancing so you need something nice to wear." I give the guys an apologetic look as she pushes me into the dressing room. For the next hour Valentina and the guys turn down dresses. "Ow!" I say as Valentina tightens the corset.

"Oh hush. I promise it will be worth it and this is the last one. Trust me." If I had known this would be such a pain I wouldn't have agreed to do this. However, I do like this dress a lot more than the others. For one it's not all frilly and bright. It's a sleeveless dress that ties around my neck with lace that connects at the corset. It makes me feel less exposed than the other dresses. From the corset at my waist the rest of the dress hangs loosely to my knees. "There all done." With a smile she turns me to face the mirror.

"I don't know that this is the right dress to go dancing in." It's beautiful, but not something you'd see someone wear too often.

"He's gonna love this one?" She mumbles.

"Who Theo? Is he going to meet us there?" Her eyes go wide for a second.

"No, I mean the guys." She quickly pushes me out of the dressing room. Peter lets out a wolf whistle. I just roll my eyes at him.

"Well I think it's perfect." Joey says.

"Okay let's move on, we've already wasted enough time here." Alexander says. They just usher me out of the store and into a beauty shop next door.

"Uh, don't we have to pay for this." I say glancing back, but no one seems to be stopping us and no alarms went off.

"It's already taken care of." Joey says as they sit me in the chair. The hair stylist circles around me. After having my hair and makeup done they shove me into a limo. Seriously what's going on here. Ian only complained once and I keep catching the others just smiling at me. It's really starting to freak me out.

The car swerves as something heavy hits the roof. Peter lets out a grunt as the window beside him shatters. Alexander pushes me to the floor as the limo screeches to a stop. What the hell was that. My eyes meet Peter's surprised ones. He pulls the knife out of his neck. The window next to Ian is shattered before he's pulled out of it. Joey and the others jump out of the car. In here we're just sitting ducks to who ever is attacking us. I move to follow them, but Alexander holds me down.

"No." I shoot him a glare.

"But they need help." Someone is slammed into the limo sending it spinning off the road.

"If it's who I think it is they don't need to know you're here." I sit up when the car stops spinning.

"Who do you think it is?" If it's just a couple vampires that don't believe the war is over than we can all take care of them easily. In fact I'd say I could take them out quickly.

"Vampire hunters." I shiver. I remember the last one. My powers didn't work on her. In one quick movement I freeze Alexander and shove him onto the floor so he isn't noticeable. I jump out seeing Joey fending off a tall figure in all black. He seems to be doing fine on his own but he others are struggling with three other figures in black. With their lack of experience as vampires they aren't nearly as skilled a fighter as Joey or Alexander. One of them throws a knife that embeds itself in Ian's chest. He stumbles back, but it doesn't seem to have killed him. I'm sorry Theo.

"Hey!" I direct my powers towards them knowing it won't work, but I need their attention. One of them snarls and tosses a knife at me. The first vampire hunter I met kept calling me an abomination. So I'm guessing they're not gonna be too happy to see me. I take a step back as they completely ignore my friends and turn their attention to me. I've distracted the one fighting Joey long enough that he's able to finish him off.

"Arabella." He warns.

"Arabella." Alexander says from the limo.

"Sorry guys, but you know how I am." I try to give them a confident smile before turning and running. They know I can't just sit around and let my friends get hurt. I glance behind me to make sure the hunters are following. They're a lot faster than I thought they'd be. A part of me just wants to out run them, but I need them to think they can get me. A knife whistles past my ear just grazing it. That was too close. I speed up a little as my phone starts to go off.

"Hello." I say while dodging another knife. "This isn't really a good time."

"Where are you? My phone sent me an alert telling me you're no longer close to Joey or Alexander."

"Did you put a tracker in my phone?" He sighs.

"That's not important. What happened?" Oh he's not gonna like this. I suck in a sharp breath as a knife sticks in my side. How many of those do they have?

"Well you see we were attacked and-"

"Arabella! The point of having them there was to protect you. What did you do?"

"I, uh, made them chase me." He curses under his breath.

"How many vampires are there." I pull the knife out and toss it back at them.

"See that's the thing, they aren't vampires exactly."

"Dammit Arabella. I need you to listen to me carefully. Make a left now." I don't question him and I kick up dirt as I make a sharp left. He keeps giving me directions until I see a building I can just make out lights in the distance. "Okay how many are there?"

"Three." As I get closer to the lights I can just make out Theo. I can feel myself relaxing as I get closer to him. He wraps his arm around my waist pulling me to a stop. I turn and see the three hunters close behind me. Before they can reach me a group of vampires surrounds them. Theo leads me away. "Shouldn't we help them?"

"No they're too out numbered, even for vampire hunters." He sits me down on a bench and looks me over, his eyes zeroing in on my waist. "You're hurt." I wave him off. This is nothing compared to the injuries I've had before. He makes a quick call to Alexander. I can hear him yelling. It's so loud Theo has to hold the phone away from his ear. He hangs up and looks at me. "You're in trouble."

"I kinda froze him so he couldn't stop me." Theo gives me a disapproving look. "You know I can't just sit back while someone hurts my friends." His face softens. I'm pretty sure the only reason they didn't come after me was because there were a few other hunters lying in wait.

"I know." He pulls me to my feet wrapping my arms around me. "I'm glad you're okay."

"Are the others okay?" He just nods. I relax wrapping my arms around his neck. I'm glad I was able to do something. "So are you gonna tell me why I was dragged around town.

"This isn't exactly the way I wanted this to go." I pull away. Wanted what to go? "Arabella, will you marry me?" His eyes hold mine waiting for me to say something.

"I didn't know vampires married." I say trying to keep my mouth from falling open. He chuckles.

"It's not exactly what you're thinking. You're agreeing to spend an eternity with me." He pulls a ring out of his pocket. It's a simple design, with a red stone instead of a diamond. The ring itself is black.

"Of course I want to spend eternity with you."