Chapter 50

ARABELLA

What am I supposed to do now? I can't go back t him. Not after what I did, not knowing he is using others like me. This time he had convinced me that Theo was dead. What will he do this time? Why can't this just be over! Becoming a vampire has done nothing but complicate things. I thought I could do anything as long as Theo was by my side. Together things should be better, but even now I can't even find any comfort in his arms. The urge to break something overcomes me. I tear at anything I can find. I'm so angry with myself, with the world I don't know what to do with all of it. My anger turns to tears of frustration and I stop breaking things and collapse on the floor.

Stupid hunters, stupid vampires. I wipe away the tears and stand. Just sitting here and crying about it isn't going to fix anything. I wipe my hands on my pants and look around. I freeze. Theo's standing just inside the room. His face is hard as a stone as he looks at me giving nothing away.

"I didn't see you there." I stammer. He doesn't anything but crosses the room towards me. He pauses before hugging me. His frustration mirrors my own. "He was here. He wants me to come back" He clenches his fists.

"You can't."

"I know...let's go. Just you and me." I say. If I'm gone, if I stop associating with the others he'll have no one to use against me. We can be alone, then maybe we can forget about all of this. He looks torn.

"If we leave now..." He tries to grab my hand. "We won't ever be able to be together the way we want." I want to cry all over again. I knew we couldn't leave but a part of me wished we would.

---

"I've had enough." I say to Tara. She's been working on me for weeks, but I don't feel any different. This is supposed to fix things.

"Quitting already?" I shoot a glare at her. "If you want me to help you need to try harder."

"This isn't helping!"

"I told you. You're a tangled mess. It's going to take longer than the others. We've barely gotten past the knots left behind by your parents. Your unwillingness makes it harder." I'm not mad at her but I can't seem to help taking my anger out on her. I can feel that she's doing something, but it's not fast enough.

I take a deep breath and sit there for a few more hours before hiding away in my room. I'm ready to pass out, but just as my eyes are about to close he's there again.

"I'm growing impatient. You need to tell me where you are." I turn away from him yawning, but my heart is racing. He may not really be here but it looks like he is.

"Not happening. I will never go back to you so just leave me alone." The door to my room opens and Theo tries to attack him. He just goes through him.

"I see you're not brave enough to join us." Theo taunts. He snarls looking like he'd like nothing more than to kill Theo.

"If I knew where you were I would gladly come. I wouldn't be so cocky if I were you. We could have killed you of we wanted to." Theo steps in front of me.

"Why don't you tell me where you are and we'll see who's stronger." I want to drag Theo out of the room, but touching him would just let him know we haven't broken free of what he's done to us.

"Don't worry, your time will come. Next time we meet you won't be left alive." And then he's gone. I round on Theo.

"Are you crazy! What are you egging him on for? He's a psychopath." Theo sits next to me on the bed.

"I've fought many hunters. He won't be a problem."

"And what about last time? What if they jump you again? Even you can't handle that many."

"They won't get that chance again." I sigh exasperated. He's so confident they won't kill him but I'm not so sure. There were so many that day. He can't die before I can touch him again. I reach out just to see of I can. When my hand goes through him I turn away and touch his mark on my chest. How can we be so close but so far away? I enjoy his company, but what I wouldn't give to hold his hand.

"I wish I could get rid of these powers. They would leave me alone if I didn't have them. Let's focus on finding someone that can remove them. It's not like they work on the hunters anyway." These powers have come in handy to save my friends, but the power to freeze time is too much. No one needs to have that power.

"If that's what you want then we'll do it, but think about what you're giving up. It's been a valuable asset to you."

"It's been a burden. I want them gone." He lays in bed next to me.

"I must admit I'll miss seeing things through your eyes. Sometimes it's hard to know what you're thinking."

"I could say the same about you." He smiles. "Who knows, maybe getting rid of them will give you back to me. I want that more than anything."

"Me too."