Chapter 21

ARABELLA

I should probably call Theo and tell him we're okay, but he probably already knows that. Maybe he'll call again any minute now just to check on me. I'm supposed to be hunting but instead I'm staring at this stupid phone debating whether I should call him or not. I flip open the phone and my finger hovers over his speed dial. I flip the phone shut. "Damn." I don't know what I'd say to him. What can I say to someone I might not ever see again?

"Who's on the other end?" I turn to Alexander. I kind of miss calling him pony tail but it's too short now for him to wear it like that. I shove the phone in my pocket. "Ah, a lover?"

"I guess you could say that?" We didn't get much time together before he left, and I didn't even find out he felt that way about me until a couple months ago. Still the thought of him still gives me butterflies, and that night we had together.

"Who is he?" Do I want to tell him? I know he knows Theo. "Theo?"

"Is it that obvious?" He shrugs.

"I've known Theo for awhile...I know when his behavior changes. When he called me the other day to tell me you were headed towards us I didn't believe it was him."

"Yeah, I've heard something like that before." When Theo first brought me to his apartment Peter had told me he's never seen Theo so protective of a human. I'm not sure if I should be flattered. Everyone else sees it but I don't. "So what do you guys do?" I ask wanting to change the subject away from Theo.

"We're a theater group." I scoff.

"I really don't think this is the time to joke around." He gives me a lopsided smile.

"No really. We're using it as a cover. We can't just go around amassing an army without rising suspicion." I scan his face for any signs of teasing but he's being completely serious. "We're meeting another group of vampires at the show tonight."

"Wait that's where we're going?" He starts walking and waves for me to follow.

"Yeah, they're new recruits Theo sent us." Of course he did.

---

I stand back stage watching the others run around. They're preforming Waiting for Godot tonight. A good choice since they don't have a huge cast yet. The curtains close on the final scene, and they all head out onto stage for a standing ovation. I wonder if all vampires can act that well. Considering they were probably alive well before this play was written I guess it's not too surprising. Joey appears next to me.

"They're pretty popular, won't that draw too much attention to them?" Joey shakes his head. "We've been alive for thousands of years. How many times do you think we've seen this crap? A vampire wouldn't look twice at a theater group. It's brilliant really."

"What did you think?" Alexander asks.

"Well I've never seen this play before, and I don't think I'll ever see a better performance." He gives me a smile before turning to the group of girls that had called his name. He saunters over there and takes a few pictures with them. They're all over him but his eyes are...on me. I turn away and find Joey watching me.

"Watch out for him?" If I could still blush I know my cheeks would be bright red right now.

"Who?" He raises an eyebrow.

"He's a ladies man." And with that he walks away. I glance back at Alexander. He was still surrounded by a group of girls. Sure he's cute, all vampires have good looks, but he's no Theo.