Chapter 59

ARABELLA

Before we can go back to Theo's old apartment we have to make arrangements. For one something has to be done about there being no council. No one really knows that we killed them yet. Vlad and Rebecca made sure that no one found out until we had replacements. Theo left it to them to fix that as long as they didn't make the two of us members. Theo and I spread the word that we have someone who can make them human again. Turns out the guys name is Drake and like me they were threatening to kill his friends if he didn't do what they asked. I'm surprised how many hunters show up to be changed. It's a little tense having so many hunters and vampires together in one place, but things seem to be going smoothly.

"I wish I could make myself human." Drake mumbles looking down at his hands. He's already changed 50 vampires today. A lot of them were the ones changed against their will. I guess not everyone thinks it's cool to live forever. I shoot him a sympathetic look as I look at the next name on the list. My heart drops into my stomach when I see who it is. I watch as Xavier walks into the room. I can't keep my mouth from hanging open. He was so adamant about becoming a vampire.

"What are you doing?" I ask. He's not glaring at me, but he doesn't look happy.

"I don't want to do this." He gestures to himself.

"I don't understand."

"If I'm being honest I only changed for you. I never liked the idea of being a vampire, but I thought if I could be with you then it wouldn't matter." Oh. I search his face for any sign that he's joking. I knew he liked me, but I thought he really knew I was with Theo long before he changed. What made him think I would change my mind? "Seeing as how your with Theo I see no reason to stay. I'm not bitter." He reassures me when he sees my face. "I was jealous at first, but...I just want to live my life and be done. I want to travel and see the world and maybe meet someone along the way."

"What about the others?" Surely they would be a reason to stay. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that he's going to die way before me. I've been pushing him away for so long but it doesn't mean don't care.

"They'll be fine, besides it's not like I won't see them." He gives me a small smile before joining Drake in the smaller adjacent room. I should have said something to him sooner. I never thought he would do something like that for me when he didn't want it. My eyes wonder to Theo. Speaking of being human. He's refused to change back just yet. He want to be human for a little while. He smiles at me when he sees me looking. I force a smile back. To say I'm worried about him is an understatement. I'm terrified that something is going to happen to him before he can change back. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that he's so fragile now. I'm too afraid to even touch him. I tear my eyes away from Theo as Xavier comes back out. I grab his arm before he can leave.

"Hey...will I see you?" His green eyes bore into mine and I can see the pain there. He's still not over this. It's hard for me to imagine when we only went on one date. I'm kicking myself for not being more clear to him. It might have hurt at the time but maybe he wouldn't be so upset now.

"I don't know." He finally says. I pull the sharpie off my clipboard and pull his arm to me writing my new number on it.

"My new number...if you change your mind. You're one of my best friends" He looks torn for a moment before walking away. I stare after him and I can't help but wonder if this is the last time I'll see him.

-------------

"Tell me again why you won't just change back now?" I ask Theo as we finally drive back to his old apartment.

"I want to understand you better. So much of you comes from the time when you were human...my emotions are so much stronger now. I don't know how you were able to deal with this." He glances at me from the drivers seat giving me a lopsided smile.

"Oh yeah, what kind of emotions?"

"Well the most prominent one is love." I shiver. "I thought I knew what love was but experiencing it as a human is...intoxicating. I don't know how long you liked me but I have no idea how it didn't drive you crazy." I laugh.

"Well for one I don't think I really knew until we were...besides you're my first love so I guess I don't know what it's like to love someone as a human." I never dated much. Xavier wasn't my first kiss but he was close.

"What is it?" Theo asks seeing my face fall.

"Did you see Xavier today." He just nods. "Did you know he was going to do that?" He doesn't answer me right away.

"We may have had a confrontation." I sat up straighter trying to read his face.

"What? When?"

"Today...I guess you never told your friends that we were bonded while we were away." I look Theo over for any signs of a fight. I couldn't imagine Xavier doing something like that. "He wasn't mad at me so much as he was mad at himself. He said a lot about his regrets, but he mostly told me to take care of you." I feel even worse now. I must have confused him even more when I gave him my number today. Theo takes my hand. "He'll be fine. He just needs time." I hope so.

--------------

Happy to say that I really am wrapping this one up. This will only be the second story I will have completed :) Feel free to comment or message me. I'd love to know what you guys think or answer any questions. It's not quite over yet, but it's been a fun journey with Theo and Arabella.