Chapter 35

ARABELLA

I'm disappointed to find that this trip has been completely boring so far. As cool as it is that I'm in a whole other country, it's no fun if I can't look around. As we drive to another meeting the lights that light up the city just seem to be taunting me. It's so beautiful I'd like nothing more than to ditch this meeting and spend the rest of my time in France with Theo. Theo wraps an arm around my shoulder and Joey glances back at us from the drivers seat. He pulls to a stop in front of a large building. I sigh and follow Theo out of the car. When Joey drives off I turn to Theo.

"He's not coming to this one?" I ask watching the car drive away. Theo shakes his head and holds the door open for me. I walk into a huge foyer. I can't help but stare in awe at the large columns wrapped in lights. This is the most beautiful place we've been to yet. My attention turns to a woman who has just appeared in front of us.

"There you are. Right this way." She says with a smile and leads us a little ways down the hallway before opening a set of huge double doors. It takes everything in me to keep my mouth from falling open as I glance around the room. Upon our entrance a small band has started to play slow music. The huge white marble floor glistens under all the lights hanging on the ceiling. In the far corner is a small table for two.

"Wha...what is this?" I ask smiling as Theo leads me to the table. He pulls out my chair for me and as soon as he's seated two wine glasses are placed in front of us. As soon as they're filled with what I can only assume is blood the waiter leaves and stands against the wall. I can't believe he put all this together.

"I'm really glad you made it out alive...we haven't really had time to appreciate our victory." Theo says taking a sip from his glass. I'm glad he made it out alive too. There were so many times when I thought I'd never see him again. I frown thinking of the people who didn't make. I stare down at my glass. Is it really over? There will always be people who rebel against the law. I think we may have just delayed the inevitable. I look up as Theo appears in front of me holding out his hand. "Dance with me." I take his hand and he pulls me out into the middle of the room. I rest my head on his shoulder as we sway to the music.

"Thank you." I shouldn't focus so much on what ifs and the past. With all that's happened I should be enjoying these little moments. Theo kisses the top of my head. "I don't know if you're going to be able to top this." I say smiling up at him. He brushes his nose against mine.

"Challenge accepted." His lips meet mine and the room around me fades. It's just the two of us. He slowly leads me to the side of the room where he presses my back against the wall. He moves to my neck sliding his tongue upwards.

"Theo." I breathe. I'm about to mention the other people in the room, but when I look around there's no one there. I smile and wrap my legs around his waist.

---

I stare out the window of the plane. The trip seemed to go by faster than I thought it would. All the meetings during the day and nights with Theo made it all seem unreal. I glance at him and Joey. They've been talking about politics this whole flight. I know I should be listening since they have both done this before. I do plan to take all this seriously. I just can't believe it has to be so soon after everything ended. Theo and Joey have had lifetimes of freedom and experience. I'm hardly twenty. I think. It's been a couple years since I met Theo and I was eighteen at the time. Yes. Twenty. I can't believe it. How can so much time pass and I not be aware of it. I look to Theo and Joey.

"What's today?" I ask. They both look at me.

"May 28th." Theo answers giving me a funny look. So I'll be 21 in a few months. If I were human that'd be huge, but knowing I'll probably live well beyond that it's hard to care about. "Why?"

"I was just thinking about how much time has passed."

"Get used to it." Joey smiles. "Soon 100 years will pass and you won't even blink an eye." I smile.

"Oh really? How old are you?" He gives me a wicked smile.

"Are you sure you want to know?" I nod eagerly. If I'm so out of everyone's league when it comes to fighting I want to know by how many year. I was told so many times I was too young to know anything. From my parents and from other vampires. "I'm 965." My eyes go wide, but I manage to keep my mouth from hanging open. I look to Theo for his answer my mind still reeling from Joeys age.

"Let's just say it's over 1000, but I hardly think age matters once you get over 100" I slump in my chair. My boyfriend is over 1000 years old. I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that. When I'm 100 he could be 1500 or 2000.

"I think we broke her." Joey laughs. Theo moves to sit next to me. He's trying to hide his smile, but he isn't doing a very good job.

"You'll get used to it." He says wrapping an arm around my shoulder. If I do it's gonna take hundreds of years. I don't even think I've come to terms with the fact that I'll live longer than humans. I think it's gonna have to actually happen for me to believe it.