Chapter 16

Arabella

I sat there for what felt like an eternity. How could I have done this? I'm a monster. I grip Theo's shirt in my fists willing him to open his eyes and tell me that everything is going to be okay. When he doesn't my sorrow turns to anger. How could he let me do that? He couldn't have trusted me that much. I move away from him pulling on my chains. I will make that man pay for changing me. The chains groan as I pull harder. I will break these chains. I pause as the doors open. I turn my glare to the man that locked us in here. He clucks his tongue as he looks at Theo.

"Look what you've done." He says turning to smile at me. I rush towards him as far as my chains will let me go. He doesn't move away. He knows exactly where to stand so that he's just out of reach. "What are you angry with me for? You're the one who killed him. How does it feel?" He sneers. I pull on my chains until I'm sobbing again. When they don't break I sink to the floor.

"I hate you." My hair's a tangled mess and I probably looked insane, but what does that matter. "How can you do this to people? You're just a pathetic man who takes his anger out on others." I smile as his smugness turns to anger.

"Don't talk of things you don't know!" He takes a step closer making me smile even more. Keep coming you ass.

"I think I know pretty well what happened. I don't know why you've got a stick up your ass about it...." I could be wrong, but this whole time he's been taking everything so personally. "So what if you killed her." He growls. He's so blinded by anger, but as he steps closer I can see the grief in his red eyes. How long has it been since it happened?

He grabs me by the neck and slams my back into the wall repeatedly. I'm amazed at how little it hurts. I had planned to hurt him, but I just can't bring myself to do it. He's trying so hard to cover his grief with anger that I feel bad for him.

"How dare you!"

"No, how dare YOU. Just because you made a mistake, it does not give you the right to force others to make that same mistake!" He tosses me towards Theo's body. The moment I touch him I flinch away. The man approaches me no longer afraid I'll hurt him. He has a sneer on his face again as he leans down to look me in the eyes.

"You must feel awful. You killed the man you love. Doesn't that make you just want to give up." I nod mesmerized by his red eyes. I do. If I died right here next to Theo then I would deserve it. I deserve so much more than an easy death. "I can help you. You poor thing." He places his hand on my cheek.

Suddenly I'm pushed to the side, and I slide until my chains jerk me to a stop. My heart jumps in my throat. This can't be possible. It's not. I rub my eyes. I must be seeing things. Theo is alive and moving. He wraps his chains around the guys neck. The guys eyes are bulging as Theo pulls tighter.

"Theo wait!" I quickly stand. I put my hand on Theo's arm drinking in the sight of him. He's really alive.

"I will not let him get away with changing you! He had no right!"

"It's fine." I hold Theo's gaze as I reach for the keys on the guys belt. I slowly unlock Theo's chains, my eyes never leaving his. I'm afraid if I do he'll kill the guy. I quickly unlock mine and place them on the guy. He grunts in anger when I grab the remote.

"On my signal let him go." Theo nods. "Okay, now." As soon as he lets go the guy tries to spin on him, but not before I press the button shortening his chains. He's slung back so hard his head slams against the wall. His body goes slack. Ooops.

My eyes fall on Theo. He grabs my hand and pulls me to him holding me tightly. I breath in his scent. He always smelled so good, even when we've been trapped here for who knows how long. He pulls away to look at me and I can't stop myself from slapping him. His eyes widen in shock.